How much flow for my nano?

Jib

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Currently have an Innovative Marine 14 Nuvo Fusion. It's been up and running for a month with a single clownfish as occupant.

The tank came with the IM Mighty Jet return pump, and I've since added the VCA Random Flow Generator Nozzel (drop adapter as well to get it under the waters surface). Trying to stay away from a dedicated power head if possible.

My mid - long term goal is to add some soft corals, maybe LPS, and an anemone. Short term goal is to keep the tank healthy and any detritus in the water column to be picked up by the filter. (Do have a dead spot in one corner of the tank right under the return head).

I'm currently running it on 1.3 on the below table.
  • 1.1: 8W 174 GPH
  • 1.2: 9W 196 GPH
  • 1.3: 10W 217 GPH
  • 1.4: 11W 239 GPH
  • 1.5: 12W 261 GPH
  • 1.6: 13W 283 GPH
  • 1.7: 14W 304 GPH
  • 1.8: 15W 317 GPH
  • 1.9: 15W 326 GPH

Anyone have a similar set up or just general recommendations to how much flow I should be trying to provide?

Thank you,

Jib

Phycodurus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
maximum gph will be capped by the coral (or invert or fish) with the least tolerance for higher flow. of course, that also depends where you place the coral or (sessile) invert. your aquascape will also come into play.

in short, i think you'll just have to eyeball the tank for a while once your stock list is all checked, and observe observe observe. HTH. :)

Glass Algae

Show Me The Anemone!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I keep softees and LPS I use an aqamai kps nano wave maker (love it) I use the 50L soft coral setting that varies the flow. It seems to be running at mostly 30 ish percent which makes me excited that it can handle much much more.

Edit because I forgot to add my point. I've heard good things about your wave maker when I was researching for my nano *

OP
OP
Jib

Jib

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
in short, i think you'll just have to eyeball the tank for a while once your stock list is all checked, and observe observe observe. HTH.
This seems like good advice. As a newer hobbiest, it hard for me to grasp what, low, medium, high, flow actually are.

I keep softees and LPS I use an aqamai kps nano wave maker (love it) I use the 50L soft coral setting that varies the flow. It seems to be running at mostly 30 ish percent which makes me excited that it can handle much much more.
I'll have to look into one of these if I cant get the flow I need with just the return pump and VCA head. Would like to avoid just so I dont have to run one more wire...

Glass Algae

Show Me The Anemone!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This seems like good advice. As a newer hobbiest, it hard for me to grasp what, low, medium, high, flow actually are.

I'll have to look into one of these if I cant get the flow I need with just the return pump and VCA head. Would like to avoid just so I dont have to run one more wire...
The reason I even got the kps is I wanted the smallest wave maker with mist variable power
Kps is the size of a jumbo egg so its barely a sight in the tank. Very clean looking. Keep us updated with how ur tank goes!

20+points to the aqamai app controllable wave maker too, but also minus 5 for annoying learning curve to the app but it's an easy step

Glass Algae

Show Me The Anemone!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pic of tank, kps in top left

Screenshot_20200922-220855_Gallery.jpg

dvgyfresh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the aqua mai Wavemaker as well and I full recommend it’s flow is very variable and come with many pre sets

Reefing_addiction

It’s my TANK and I want it NOW!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I added a hygaar wave make to the right side of my tank pointed in the direction of where my return pump (use to) put water back into my tank. This is also the side where the water goes in to go to the pump. I placed it as low down as I could away from the overflow.I added a hang on refugium to the left side of my tank. It has a gravity flow that feeds water back into the tank at the front left. It creates flow behind my rocks and helps with dead spots.
C63B2DFC-85EB-4D44-BFAA-7073F07E4C65.jpeg

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 23 40.4%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 13 22.8%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 20 35.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.8%
Back