How much flow is too much?

ReefPodd

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Upgraded my Biocube 32 return pump with a Tunze capable of ~240-790 GPH to increase the flow for future corals. It seems like plenty of flow but it also could be stressing the fish (two green chromis) a little so I backed the controller to about 40% power. I’m interested to hear thoughts on this. I plan to add 4 more fish (clowns, gobies) and then will add coral. I also bought an ecotech that’s en route but likely won’t need it for this tank.

(Tunze Silence Electronic Controllable Recirculation Pump 1073.050 - 790 GPH)

saltwaterpicaso

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had my mp40s and return pump dialed down to about 50 percent and I thought it was perfect flow. About 2 months ago I turned them up to 100 percent and my tank is way happier the sand is constantly shifting keeping it sparkling white the zoas are reproducing way faster and my filter sock needs replacing every 3 days now

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
When fish are bouncing off the glass walls and the sand represents a snow globe- Might be time to turn the flow down.

Jokes aside,,,,,,,,,, The fish should be able to swim normally and reach their food at feeding rather than chasing it and sandbed should not be getting stirred up.
Best is to start low and increase to desired movement

PatW

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That pump will produce a bit over 20 times flow at full blast.

Chromis are pretty good swimmers. I have two in my tank with 50 times flow and they have no trouble. Even relatively poor swimmers like Bengai Cardinals do fine. Very I’ll fish can have problems with flow. But healthy fish do fine.

Also WWC suggests 100 times flow for acro tanks. Their tanks have fish that do fine.

Even the 100 times flow is not that fast compared to what happens in nature. I scuba dive and I have seen flows that would easily translate out to 1000 times and greater. But there were plenty of fish.

Vivid Creative Aquatics

Upgrade Your Flow!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe consider adding a 1/2in Random Flow Generator™ Nozzle to your tank. It will allow you to crank that flow up and keep it from shooting out like jet.

Plus -with that much flow being randomized by the RFG nozzle, you may not even need any additional power heads .

Last edited:

anon9896

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Chromis are pretty good swimmers. I have two in my tank with 50 times flow and they have no trouble. Even relatively poor swimmers like Bengai Cardinals do fine. Very I’ll fish can have problems with flow. But healthy fish do fine.

Also WWC suggests 100 times flow for acro tanks. Their tanks have fish that do fine.

Even the 100 times flow is not that fast compared to what happens in nature. I scuba dive and I have seen flows that would easily translate out to 1000 times and greater. But there were plenty of fish.
Constant day and night flow ? O.O

Nooooooooob1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Wow, awesome perspective!

OP
OP
R

ReefPodd

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe consider adding a 1/2in Random Flow Generator™ Nozzle to your tank. It will allow you to crank that flow up and keep it from shooting out like jet.

Plus -with that much flow being randomized by the RFG nozzle, you may not even need any additional power heads .
I’ll check out that RFG nozzle. Sounds great. It seems like the fish are adjusting to the runs of full flow.

Vivid Creative Aquatics

Upgrade Your Flow!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Back in my biocube days I ran 2 ecotech MP10's(@80%) and an upgraded return. You're fish will adjust, may take them a day or 2, but they will be fine. Those RfG nozzles will do wonders for not letting your return nozzles jet out. Love them and will probably have them on every tank from now on.

Unless your pinning them to the glass, they'll adjust to the flow. Strong, healthy fish are happy fish.

FWIW, you should not rely on the return to provide flow for the tank. Slow it down and install a couple powerheads. If your running some form of chemical filtration in your back chambers(most do), then you want a slower return pump as you want contact time with that media.

AdamB

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do they sell one that can be put on the stock return “nub” of a RSR Max Nano?
I would think but Not for sure on your RSR . The RFG nozzle comes with 3 adapters to fit various sizes of return .
I actually bought mine off amazon .

CavalierReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Back in my biocube days I ran 2 ecotech MP10's(@80%) and an upgraded return. You're fish will adjust, may take them a day or 2, but they will be fine. Those RfG nozzles will do wonders for not letting your return nozzles jet out. Love them and will probably have them on every tank from now on.

Unless your pinning them to the glass, they'll adjust to the flow. Strong, healthy fish are happy fish.

FWIW, you should not rely on the return to provide flow for the tank. Slow it down and install a couple powerheads. If your running some form of chemical filtration in your back chambers(most do), then you want a slower return pump as you want contact time with that media.
The voice of reason. Thank you.

OP
OP
R

ReefPodd

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The voice of reason. Thank you.
I have an eco tech mp10 but haven’t set it up yet. I think the rfg adapters will make a difference in the tank. I do run the stock trays with a chemical matrix and didn’t think much about the speed since they’re submerged. That’s something to consider.

Lith1um

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Whats the best wavemaker for a 120 gallon tank?
Im confused between tunze, gyre xf350 or ecotech mp40

i will need two (one on each end)

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Whats the best wavemaker for a 120 gallon tank?
Im confused between tunze, gyre xf350 or ecotech mp40

i will need two (one on each end)
I'm a vortech guy, but any of those will do the trick.

BeejReef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you've done well getting an option that allows adjustment.
As mentioned, the fish are pretty adaptable. It's mostly about the corals you choose. It's a balancing act with a mixed reef... pretty much as much flow as the softies and lps can take without revolting.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 74 51.7%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 73 51.0%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 36 25.2%
  • None.

Votes: 31 21.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.3%
Back