How much fuel do you have on hand in case of a natural disaster

BZOFIQ

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
So everybody is talking about generators but....how much fuel do you store on hand in case of a natural disaster.

Do you think you have enough?

vertigo01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unless you have a generator that runs on propane, there is no reason to store gas unless it is Non Ethanol.
Get it before you need it and save yourself the headache.

EMeyer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, you cant effectively stockpile gasoline long term. Thats why I have a propane generator. Slowly accumulating a collection of propane tanks.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I have full tank and 5 gallons on hand- roughly 26 hrs

andrewkw

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I try and store 24hrs worth just in case. While longer then a day power failures do happen here, other than ice storms there are not many crazy natural disasters. I know you shouldn't keep gas too long and I probably should use it up faster but typically snowblower or lawnmower will eventually use them and then I fill them up again.

I just want to make sure I can make it a night since there is no 24hr gas nearby or in case the roads are blocked.

K7BMG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I normally have 10 20 gallons.
Always fresh. I just pull the cans and generator off one of my work trucks.
But the last outage of course my guys had not refilled the cans, lol.
Where I am the power is stable and I am not to concerned.
I think our longest outage was when the power company had to do some maintenance, was out twice the same day for about an hour

OP
OP
BZOFIQ

BZOFIQ

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Unless you have a generator that runs on propane, there is no reason to store gas unless it is Non Ethanol.
Get it before you need it and save yourself the headache.

So how do you know when the power will go out?

I buy highest-grade gas and use Stabil to condition the fuel for storage. I empty the unused fuel into the cars and refill with fresh every year. Never had a problem with the multitude of gas powered equipment.

OP
OP
BZOFIQ

BZOFIQ

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
I personally store about 17 gallons of gas....but also make sure to fill both cars any time we are expecting a major storm.

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I keep the generator full which gives me about 10 hours.
Plus I keep several gallons around for other gas tools.
If there is a storm or other issue coming, I'll go fill up my 5 - 5 gallon containers and my cars.
But since gas doesn't store well long term, I don't stock up.

OP
OP
BZOFIQ

BZOFIQ

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
During hurricane sandy, you couldn't get gas.

That's right and hence the question. Last year we were in Florida and a major storm was coming and we needed to get the heck out but there was no gas anywhere in the keys as everyone from Miami sucked the pumps dry. I was freaking out and hypermiling praying that I will make it to the next station further north.

josephxsxn

Mixed Reef Peninsula
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I keep about 5-10 gallons on hand which should get me 20+ hours or so. Have been considering going to a full home standby on propane though.

vertigo01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I buy highest-grade gas and use Stabil to condition the fuel for storage. I empty the unused fuel into the cars and refill with fresh every year. Never had a problem with the multitude of gas powered equipment.
Where I am, we know days in advance of an approaching hurricane. So there are atleast a couple days notice to get fuel.

That said, there is no sense in paying more $ for a higher octane grade of fuel. Especially for storage as the Octane rating dissipates rather quickly.
Best for storage short term (4 mths or less preferably) is Non Ethanol or even better still. Would be diesel.

lmm1967

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

all that depends quite a bit on the fuel you are getting and the environment you are storing it in.

Many people are unable to store usable fuel for more than 3 - 6 months.

To answer your original question - I'm lucky, we have a whole home generator plumbed directly to natural gas line.

If natural gas isn't flowing we're without a workable generator. I'm more than likely concerned about things other than my fish at that point in time though.

OP
OP
BZOFIQ

BZOFIQ

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
all that depends quite a bit on the fuel you are getting and the environment you are storing it in.

Many people are unable to store usable fuel for more than 3 - 6 months.

Legit question...what would cause the fuel to go bad as soon as 3-6 months?

To answer your original question - I'm lucky, we have a whole home generator plumbed directly to natural gas line.

If natural gas isn't flowing we're without a workable generator. I'm more than likely concerned about things other than my fish at that point in time though.

That's why I asked above if once gasoline-powered generator is converted to propane or better yet natural gas can one still use it with gasoline if you run out of propane or natural gas is not supplied?

K7BMG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The best solution is Propane.
Power can go out obviously.
Natural gas is always presumed to be good but alas it also can stop.
Gas and diesel fuel can go bad over time.
Propane well it can last years if not decades.

lmm1967

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Legit question...what would cause the fuel to go bad as soon as 3-6 months?

Primarily moisture and ethanol separation. Both of which can be lessened with proper handling & additives - but there is still a time limit. Once separation happens the fuel is shot. Once oxidation happens the fuel is shot. Purchasing fuel where either of those has started makes it even more challenging.

That's why I asked above if once gasoline-powered generator is converted to propane or better yet natural gas can one still use it with gasoline if you run out of propane or natural gas is not supplied?

You would need to convert it back. Most generators offer a kit to make the transition. Mainly jetting / carb replacement I believe.

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 18.0%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 27 16.2%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 19.2%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 70 41.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.8%
Back