How Much Is It To Upgrade a 22 Gal to MH from PCs?

jessiesgrrl

Hasslehoff is NOT Hot!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, so let me start this and leave myself open to flaming :lol: I am not totally convinced that a 22 gallon needs MH to get great color on zoas and palys, etc. I have $200 to spend on a new prop tank (My attempts to make my own have utterly failed <grin> )

All things being equal, I'd love to have the Finnex M-Tank 22g Glass Frameless Aquarium w/150W HQI + 18W x 2 power compact + LED... but it is $374 plus shipping. (I do NOT want an acrylic tank for this- will be in and out of it wawy too much)...

Should I shell out the extra dough out of my paycheck for the MH+PC+LED, or wait until later and see if I need to upgrade the lights at all and get the Finnex M-Tank 22g Glass Frameless Aquarium w/36W x 3 power compact - no LED for $239 plus shipping...? How much is it to just buy a MH light for a tiny aquarium like this one if I decide to upgrade it later?

I guess I could just sell the Deltec AP600 to get the extra cash, but am worried a bit about the hassle of selling used equipment. It's in like new condition, but is too much of a PITA for me maybe.

:thoughtful:
Laurie

twon8

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
im sure you'll have no problem selling the skimmer for 75% of retail,

i would get a 40g breeder or a 30 long, and get a single mh or a few t5's, respectively.

a prop tank can be done cheaply, look out for used ballasts, im sure you've got some older bulbs around for the time being.

where are you trying to put this? hooked up to the system or a new system?

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hey coil1002! Welcome to club Zoa!

Why dont you start a thread about the DIY light? That would be great!

surfn

I bleed orange and maroon
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
coil1002 said:
How handy are you ? I put together my MH set up 150 w HQI 14k for under $70 how ever there is a bit of diying involved.

how did you find a ballast/bulb/socket combination under $70? i'm guessing you traded for it or bought it used?

shoot, 150w DE bulbs cost as much as $70 new.

OP
OP
jessiesgrrl

jessiesgrrl

Hasslehoff is NOT Hot!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
revhtree said:
Hey coil1002! Welcome to club Zoa!

Why dont you start a thread about the DIY light? That would be great!

No joke...!
:D
Laurie

OP
OP
jessiesgrrl

jessiesgrrl

Hasslehoff is NOT Hot!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
twon8 said:
im sure you'll have no problem selling the skimmer for 75% of retail,

i would get a 40g breeder or a 30 long, and get a single mh or a few t5's, respectively.

a prop tank can be done cheaply, look out for used ballasts, im sure you've got some older bulbs around for the time being.

where are you trying to put this? hooked up to the system or a new system?

1. Skimmer- Really???? Usually when I buy stuff, it loses like 50% of what I bought it for right off the bat- what's so great about this one? Even with out it hooked up, I have so much macro in the tank and anenomes in the sump that the water has actually been better without the skimmer...

2.) The 40g or 30 g would have to be hooked into the main tank to do that, or I would have to buy all the usualy stuff for it- no room left under the stand for it because there is already a refugium there.... the Finnex comes with the equipment in it already, which is why I was looking at it. I wanted to put it next to my bed on the nightstand..

3.) Looked for used ballasts on ebay, didn't see any? Will keep looking... On the other forum boards people usually want too much for them, imo if I am going to be DIYing it.

Laurie

OP
OP
jessiesgrrl

jessiesgrrl

Hasslehoff is NOT Hot!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
surfn said:
http://www.hellolights.com/arocu17rekit.html

includes your choice of XM bulb for $20.

go to lowes, get some screws, wood glue, a flat piece of wood, a long piece of 1"x2"x8' for your legs and cross braces, then get a can of black spray paint, and you got yourself a metal halide canopy for about $170 total.

very easy.

See this is what I was thinking aboit. If DIYing it will cost me $170- add that to $239 and I might as well get the $375 tank, you think?
Laurie

surfn

I bleed orange and maroon
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
why do you want to use a nice tank like a Finnex as a propagation tank anyways? just go get a AGA 20g-long, throw some eggcrate in it with PVC stands. total cost about $40-$50.

a standard glass AGA tank is so much more versitle than a Finnex tank. esspecially when used as a propagation tank. plus you dont have to worry about beating up an AGA tank b/c they are dirt cheap to replace.

thats what i see a propagation tank as, something that is versitile, cheap, and can take a beating b/c it WILL be neglected when compared to your show tank.

JMO. a finnex tank is too "nice" to be a propagation tank.

ficklefins

Super Duper Moderator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with surfn on this. Finnex tanks are display tanks, go with something cheap but not tall! If you check your local craigslist you may find someone selling a 20g setup that has lights, stand, heater, and some other stuff for less than $50. Make sure it didn't have any chemicals and you have just gotten yourself a great deal!

OP
OP
jessiesgrrl

jessiesgrrl

Hasslehoff is NOT Hot!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmmm... I'll thiank about that. I was looking at the Finnex because it was all put together all ready with the equipment... I'll look around. I've never seen craigslist- what a neat site!!!!!!

Laurie

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 73 51.8%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 72 51.1%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 36 25.5%
  • None.

Votes: 31 22.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.4%

Back