How much is Yellow tang in your lfs?

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Caught this interesting discussion on fb- how much are your local fish stores currently charging for yellow tangs? Love to hear your feed back:
Your city/state/country, yellow tang price (USD), are they wild or biota captive bred, and what size?

I am in WI and no lfs has any yellow tangs (that I know of) right now. Found some biota captive bred ones in Chicago couple weeks back for $150 each at 2”.
Just a survey for data not soliciting opinions on trade politics.
Best fish in Milwaukee has little ones as low as $100 each and big ones $200ish I think. They were biota tangs.

ying yang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
£ 200 at my local lfs in Liverpool, England that's roughly $250 as for size I don't know as as soon as they come in there already sold the lfs workers told me few months ago .

chipchipbro

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, DeJong Marinelife has some in stock :)

GARRIGA

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If people stopped paying these exuberant prices then perhaps the price would come down. To some extent because logistic do raises prices but I feel like perhaps some taking advantage of it and I’m not talking just LFS. Curious if prices will drop once supply demands normalize and Hawaii opens up again. Although in the latter I don’t know it will but not everything comes from Hawaii, either.

Lbrdsoxfan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As for koles… the white tails look similar.

I had to Hawaiian Koles but they were jerks and got rid of them.
I considered a white tail bristle tooth also. I can't remotely justify spending triple digits on ANY Ctenochaetus tang with exception to a Chevron. The Chevron is considered only because of it's 'rarity'. I've seen them in the stores here in L.A., usually when a special order falls through. Ive seen more Gem tangs then Chevrons in the past 5 years.

keithw283

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll get a pic, but I want to say 125ish, same as a purple. Not conditioned/QT'ed. They never stay in stock though anymore. I want a yellow eye kole but my eyes and wallet keep saying no to that price which is even higher than the yellow/purple tangs.
i want a kole tang as well but my LFS only has one and it's in their Frag tank and they always charge a bit more for those since they aren't actually for sale. Scared to ask how much. 4 years ago he sold me a Kole tang in his frag tank for $80. I would kill for that price now

chipchipbro

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I considered a white tail bristle tooth also. I can't remotely justify spending triple digits on ANY Ctenochaetus tang with exception to a Chevron. The Chevron is considered only because of it's 'rarity'. I've seen them in the stores here in L.A., usually when a special order falls through. Ive seen more Gem tangs then Chevrons in the past 5 years.
I do have a Ctenochaetus Truncatus... very nice fish and almost the same as a "kole" pretty blue stripes around his body and yellow eye.

Lbrdsoxfan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hope the prices of fish stabilize fwiw. The coral im actually glad to see the prices go up.
Hopefully a little more up on the coral and hold. Lol.
We will see all.
D
IMHO, as coral propagation increases, prices will stabilize and drop. Everyone is getting into the biz of fragging these days. It's like the gold rush before it's all tapped out. All I see on ig these days is coral. Even here on this site, all I see on the banners is coral sales. It's bananas!

A Young Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
since the ban, my local fish store(s) did not import any yellow tangs (mainly it is because of where I live). I got a purple for 95 bucks recently.

Lbrdsoxfan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do have a Ctenochaetus Truncatus... very nice fish and almost the same as a "kole" pretty blue stripes around his body and yellow eye.
I never see em local and when I do the LFS charges a mint. Last time there was one readily in stock, it was 120$ iirc. It's crazy, I can buy one from LA cheaper with shipping than buying local.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If people stopped paying these exuberant prices then perhaps the price would come down. To some extent because logistic do raises prices but I feel like perhaps some taking advantage of it and I’m not talking just LFS. Curious if prices will drop once supply demands normalize and Hawaii opens up again. Although in the latter I don’t know it will but not everything comes from Hawaii, either.
I agree with this, I have a feeling Biota, Bali, LFS’s, Distributers ect… have been raising the prices more than they are lowering them.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 76 37.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 69 34.3%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 12.4%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 29 14.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back