How much is Yellow tang in your lfs?

alain Bouchard

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you want to come to Lafayette, IN they are selling Yellow Tangs for less than $100. Aquarium World. I can't remember the exact figure, but I know I was extremely surprised. I did not inquire into the wild/captive bred. It looked about 2-3 inches in length.
might come over, buy all the stock and try sell them at my LFS for 700$/each :p

alain Bouchard

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
but in reality, as long as people are willing to pay that price, they will raise the prices and test. They will give you all excuse to explain the price hike (covid, ukraine, laws, ban, diseases, etc), but in reality, it's all only greed, either its from the collector, importer, distributor or LFS, someone will make more money, and that aint you.

((FORDTECH))

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where in chicago? I have 3 stores I typically go to on the north side - only 1 has had yellow tangs and they’ve been the biotas. Think they were charging $150+ for little baby ones, like 2”.
Just bought my 3 inch yellow tang from coral reef in Chicago 2 months ago for 150$ it was not biota and is beautiful yellow not pail

bstodds15

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just bought my 3 inch yellow tang from coral reef in Chicago 2 months ago for 150$ it was not biota and is beautiful yellow not pail
Can you send a link to Coral Reef? Wouldn't mind checking out their store sometime!

((FORDTECH))

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To be honest this place has gone down hill so far they are in the gutter. I don’t shop here anymore. It with that being said they are under new ownership last time I was in there and I probably will not go back beacaue new owners have no clue. Not one person in the store even knew what coral dip was

Attachments

• 09C53CB6-3BD4-445E-939C-D9162A6EBD2A.png
    09C53CB6-3BD4-445E-939C-D9162A6EBD2A.png
    373.4 KB · Views: 41

bnord

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
have 2 biotas, bought one and won one, and they are thriving and as deeply colored as any wild caught I have seen... strong supporter of their business and underlying mission

areefer01

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Captive bred/raised is all that is available unless you are buying a rehomed from a fellow hobbyist or LFS.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Captive bred/raised is all that is available unless you are buying a rehomed from a fellow hobbyist or LFS.
You can also get wild caught yellows from Indonesia still. Although, they’re much rarer as I believe they come from deeper waters. When I was working in an LFS we definitely got a few Indonesian Wild Caught Yellows just as the CB yellows were coming into the hobby. I wish I got a photo of the 4 inch specimen we got in from Indonesia.

Petcrazyson

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At my LFS u can find the Biota Captive Bred Yellows for around $260 and they are only about 2”. The Hawaiian Yellows go for $400+, but they are a bigger/better size. Very tempting even though they have that wallet burning price tag.

areefer01

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can also get wild caught yellows from Indonesia still. Although, they’re much rarer as I believe they come from deeper waters. When I was working in an LFS we definitely got a few Indonesian Wild Caught Yellows just as the CB yellows were coming into the hobby. I wish I got a photo of the 4 inch specimen we got in from Indonesia.

I did not know they are available from Indonesia. Thank you for sharing.

Me personally captive bred or raised is the future of this hobby. I understand some don't agree just as I understand some question the current price model. Only thing I would ask is that the hobbyist put themselves in their shoes to see the Herculean effort required to bring product to market.

Outside that rant of mine thanks again for sharing. Wasn't aware. Hope you have a great day.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did not know they are available from Indonesia. Thank you for sharing.

Me personally captive bred or raised is the future of this hobby. I understand some don't agree just as I understand some question the current price model. Only thing I would ask is that the hobbyist put themselves in their shoes to see the Herculean effort required to bring product to market.

Outside that rant of mine thanks again for sharing. Wasn't aware. Hope you have a great day.
Totally agree with CB being the biggest lead to this hobby however personally I think that the pricing is rather high for it and some species have a different variant in them but it’s unknown what variant you get when young. Another issue is you cant Captive Breed every species as many are unknown on how they breed and what they feed on as young juveniles in the wild.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
this is the microcosm of the hobby going forward. imho.

Back