1   0   0
Saltwaterfishship.com has them for 79..99-155.99

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I think part of it is costs of shipping - and the risk of the package getting delayed at the port - and killing everything. I also think to a degree having the Biota tangs has raised the prices for all of them. But - just like with lots of other pets/pet equipment - a lot more people are buying them and prices go up.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
There are other websites with yellow tangs for 79.99 as well. I haven't been to an LFS for months since my tank is well stocked - but I'm going this weekend it will be interesting to see whats available and at what price

SteveMM62Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
About Two Months ago the La Plata PetCo had them for $139. For some reason they get a good assortment of fish at that store, even though they don’t have as many Salt Tanks as other PetCos. Also they now have a Frag Tank.

brahm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Everything is 300-500% marked up vs 10 yrs ago

I've seen a lot of stuff for about the same or cheaper, and it's been more the last 6-7 years that a lot of changed. Felt like when I was tearing down my last setup shortly after is when AU opened up and there was so many cool things coming in.

In terms of prices Frags from reefers outside a few are around what we were paying before 40-200. (Talking SPS), and other Chromis / damsel prices haven't gone up that much Saphire damsels are still sub 10. Other things are a lot cheaper Gem tangs in the mid 400 range which used to cost 1000s, purple tangs for sub 100, Pin tail wrasse 49 vs 200-300. Blotch anthia's on the other hand I used to get them for around 60 from wholesale, so they would sell 100-150 retail now they are like what 700?! Hippos tangs also seemed to have jumped in price.

Those green Chromis are up around 900% (or 4000 if you got them on sale before) They used to be the fish you cycled your tank with etc etc..

Salt I don't think has gone up that much more so if you get it on sale, at most maybe 10$ /200 for IO.

Hawaii stuff makes sense that is a reaction to a specific incident much like pew pews from a certain country have shot up in price since pending ban's on imports.. but overall it seems to be really hit or miss as to what adjusted w/inflation and what hasn't.

Seem more things simply aren't available than were before at least not where I've been going. Can't recall that last time i saw a "wild colony" or a tank full of mariculture acro's at any of the stores I've walked into.

ClownSchool

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Caught this interesting discussion on fb- how much are your local fish stores currently charging for yellow tangs? Love to hear your feed back:
Your city/state/country, yellow tang price (USD), are they wild or biota captive bred, and what size?

I am in WI and no lfs has any yellow tangs (that I know of) right now. Found some biota captive bred ones in Chicago couple weeks back for $150 each at 2”.
Just a survey for data not soliciting opinions on trade politics.
$80-$120…I got mine for $100. It was 3.5”-4” at purchase.

Cool tangs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here in Western Australia, depending on LFS and size expect to pay anywhere from $850-$2500 for a yellow some times you may see one for $500 from a tank shut down

Pretty much any Hawaiian fish, even though current captured yellows and Achilles are not Hawaiian species, as you can get them in other regions. Just not as common

OP
OP
Coralsdaily

Coralsdaily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If people stopped paying these exuberant prices then perhaps the price would come down. To some extent because logistic do raises prices but I feel like perhaps some taking advantage of it and I’m not talking just LFS. Curious if prices will drop once supply demands normalize and Hawaii opens up again. Although in the latter I don’t know it will but not everything comes from Hawaii, either.
“IF” Hawaii ever opens again….

OP
OP
Coralsdaily

Coralsdaily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I considered a white tail bristle tooth also. I can't remotely justify spending triple digits on ANY Ctenochaetus tang with exception to a Chevron. The Chevron is considered only because of it's 'rarity'. I've seen them in the stores here in L.A., usually when a special order falls through. Ive seen more Gem tangs then Chevrons in the past 5 years.
Have not seen chevron available in stores around me in years, or if they are they are gone in 10 seconds

OP
OP
Coralsdaily

Coralsdaily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I never see em local and when I do the LFS charges a mint. Last time there was one readily in stock, it was 120$ iirc. It's crazy, I can buy one from LA cheaper with shipping than buying local.
It’s funny how local fish stores complain they are losing customers to online retailers without making an effort to be competitive

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 68 37.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 32.8%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.9%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 15.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back