How much kalk powder to add to kalk stirrer?

chimbo84

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   1   0
I use the same unit Avast K2 - I'm still using the PH probe not the conductivity probe though. I found the Avast can handle a pretty large overfilling before having any issues of bogging motor down or stopping completely. I have been using the unit for about a year now and I have 2 K1's on systems I manage. what I found is if your PH is 12.3
( the target you want to see ) then as soon as it drops to 12.2 / 12.1 immediately add a cup of dry kalk powder to the stirrer. If you wait longer than a day it will drop really quickly to the 11's and that is basically not very effective, if at all.
Soon as you add the 1 cup it will jump back to 12.3 and stay there until the next drop to 12.2 / 12.1. I found I'm adding about 1 cup per month on 850 gallons, with my PH & Alk staying unbelievably stable. I kinda follow the Chris Meckly reverse lighting process of dosing the 24 hour evaporation in a 14 hour lights off period. My PH stays 8.3-8.35 day and night and my alk stays 8.5 - 8.6 consistently.
How frequently do you calibrate the pH probe in your stirrer? I just added a probe and it’s reading 13 before calibration. Just curious how often I should expect to calibrate the probe for this extreme environment.

14 foot reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How frequently do you calibrate the pH probe in your stirrer? I just added a probe and it’s reading 13 before calibration. Just curious how often I should expect to calibrate the probe for this extreme environment.
The PH probe is not going to be Super accurate in these conditions. I basically use mine to see any drop at all from its number it reads. Mine reads 12.5 If it drop to 12.3 or 12.2 I know I need to add Kalk Powder. I would treat your the same way, as soon as it moves off 13, add Kalk Powder.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 20 51.3%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 22 56.4%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 8 20.5%
  • None.

Votes: 6 15.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 7.7%
Back