How much live rock?

Betroc2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am getting a 28 gal. JBJ reef tank. I already have a 24 gal. reef. My 24 is just packed with live rock. Too much I think.:squigglemouth: When I set up my 28 using what I have in my 24 how do you know how much is enough? I want to have a lot of corals so I know I have to get rid of some of the rock. All the pics I have seen show a lot less rock. Someone please help. Thank you for your time.:wink:

jedidad

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The general rule of thumb is one pound of rock per gallon of water. I believe you can get away with less so long as you have a good filtration system. Are you running a sump on this tank?

ReeferBob

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A lot of people put rock in the sump to hide it. You can pack your sump with rock to get it out of the DT. 1-2lbs per gallon is the usual #.

OP
OP
Betroc2

Betroc2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No room for a sump.:cry: It will be standard reef eq. that comes with the JBJ 28 gal. upgraded ( more blue) 150 MH bulb, live sand and live rock, from my old ( 5 yr.) 24 gal. JBJ reef. If you look at the pic I posted on my page you can see I have more than enough rock, LOL. Need to arrange it better though. Thank you for your input. I forgot how much rock to use. Been a while since I set up a tank.:bigsmile:

fragmatic

retired reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I prefer just over a pound per rated gallon of the main display tank... if that helps.

Sounds good.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back