How much more room for livestock do I have left?

The_Skrimp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He folks. So right now my tank’s nutrients stay really low and I’m considering adding another fish or possibly a couolebut wanted some opinions on if I’m over stocking my tank or not. I have a 50 gallon display tank with about another 15 gals in the sump. Right now I have:

2 ocellaris clowns
1 yellow watchman goby
1 pistol shrimp
1 Melanurus Wrasse
1 tuxedo Urchin
And a handful of snails and crabs

I was hoping to get an opinion on how much room I have left.

T-J

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my years of reefing, the general consensus has been 1 fish per 10 gallons. I think you have room for another fish.

AC1211

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He folks. So right now my tank’s nutrients stay really low and I’m considering adding another fish or possibly a couolebut wanted some opinions on if I’m over stocking my tank or not. I have a 50 gallon display tank with about another 15 gals in the sump. Right now I have:

2 ocellaris clowns
1 yellow watchman goby
1 pistol shrimp
1 Melanurus Wrasse
1 tuxedo Urchin
And a handful of snails and crabs

I was hoping to get an opinion on how much room I have left.
Do you have more room yes. Don't use it unless you are confident in your nutrient management I became confident then had issues they tried to "fix" the problem with small tangs then had a ton of other issues while holding a few fish for someone else then velvet hit. So my guess is that ia was better off at my original 4 fish in my 60g pre velvet:
2 occellaris clowns
1 yellow coris wrasse
1 diamond watchman goby

That is what I should have left it at maybe even less. Now all I have left of 16 fish (I was holding quite a few) is 1 yellow coris wrasse. Somehow my favorite fish that disappeared for 6 weeks in the past is the only fish I have left.

Mastiffsrule

Where ever you go, there you are, so be nice 2 you
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Evening,

I would first say, if everything is working great and you are happy with the tank let it ride. If you are happy but feel you can welcome more to the family, you do have space.

I always first think about proper fit. Not just size, and bioload. Will it fit in with other tank mates, fill a need in your tank to do a job like sand sifting or algae grazing, does it need specific feeding or housing, etc.

So, after that long winded, no one asked answer, how about a fire fish? Cardinals are a favorite of mine, or maybe a pair to try breeding. I would say a small angel like coral beauty or flame if the tank is 4 foot, but research first coral compatibility because they can nip.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 33.8%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 19 23.8%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 7 8.8%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 6.3%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 20 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.5%
Back