How much of your GHL stuff is broken?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Fisherman Joe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
GHL Touch Screen - no longer works.

Maxi Doser Pump - Constantly splits the compression tubing.

Various leak and float sensors are now failing for me quite regularly and it’s frankly laughable.

Little to no communication from the “support” tickets. It’s a joke

Ion Director - preordered in 2019, still not received, finally asked for my money back. ICP tests are cheaper and more reliable I figured.

EcoTech product integration non-existent despite the claims.

Email notification, push notifications and other features work for one day before you (constantly) have to mess with the settings.

The mobile app - less said the better.

After spending literally thousands of pounds, wanting a fool proof and automated reef tank, I have a fragile and unreliable baby that needs daily tinkering and extra/other technology and parts to keep it working.

So disappointing. This is the most un-German company ever. Really wished I invested an an alternative.

GlassMunky

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Various leak and float sensors are now failing for me quite regularly and it’s frankly laughable.

Ion Director - preordered in 2019, still not received, finally asked for my money back. ICP tests are cheaper and more reliable I figured.

Email notification, push notifications and other features work for one day before you (constantly) have to mess with the settings.

After spending literally thousands of pounds, wanting a fool proof and automated reef tank, I have a fragile and unreliable baby that needs daily tinkering and extra/other technology and parts to keep it working.

So disappointing. This is the most un-German company ever. Really wished I invested an an alternative.
hate to be "that guy" but whats the alternative? Neptune Apex and every other controller has just as many tech issues and problems and terrible customer support.

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My KH Director came from the factory with the waste water tube pinched off inside the box. I know my "right to repair" in the US and they can't cancel my warranty for opening the box, so I opened the box and straightened the tube back out. It still had a spot in it where you could tell it had been kinked but would not flow water properly, and could actually function and test.

The support issue... don't even attempt to ask a question on their Facebook Group. It took a WEEK to get my post approved, and by then I had found that the ethernet cable going to my KH Director had a bad wire connection on one of the ends. No PAB error at all, it would still try and run a test but the pH probe was stuck reading 4.8pH. I ended up ordering a probe I didn't need, because the Doser will give a PAB error with the bad ethernet cable, but the KH Director will not.

kenchilada

Palytoxin Abuser
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My alerts are completely unreliable. This is a huge problem, I don’t trust the unit when I’m away.

The leak sensors are junk. Had two and when they got wet they never worked again. Won’t buy more.

Agree, support is not good.

Agree, software is terrible and I dread using any part of it.

The P4 itself has been stable, but it’s just not practical enough to justify keeping it. What good is a controller I hate to use?

Kasa power strips, Alkatronic, Ranco temp controller, Tunze ATO does everything I need.

Lucas815

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been a GHL user for about a year and a half.

I have a P4, IonD with doser, 2 other dosers, level sensors for AWC and ATO.

Everything is A1 and no serious issue so far.

gbroadbridge

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Apart from some issues with the app, It's been running my tank perfectly for almost 2 years.

I routinely leave the tank completely unattended for 4-6 weeks and it coasts along perfectly.

I'm not one to continually fiddle, it's as solid as you can get for a controller.

MaddyP

'Til Reefdom Come...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hate to be "that guy" but whats the alternative? Neptune Apex and every other controller has just as many tech issues and problems and terrible customer support.
Exactly why I chose a DIY controller and industry-grade sensors for my most recent build. Never going back…

I’ve had both GHL and Apex equipment fail without warning. Unfortunately when they do fail it tends to be in spectacular fashion.

GlassMunky

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Exactly why I chose a DIY controller and industry-grade sensors for my most recent build. Never going back…

I’ve had both GHL and Apex equipment fail without warning. Unfortunately when they do fail it tends to be in spectacular fashion.
Honestly I wouldn’t call that an improvement.
Maybe it works for you, but the vast majority of people, a DIY option isn’t even an option. Most don’t have the know how to do it and a lot of people wouldn’t want to. Then add in the fact that if anything happens it’s 1000% on you with no support.
that’s no better than what’s out now

TokenReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Full disclosure I don't have any controller, but I want one. What do you suppose the failure rate of a diy controller (e.g. reef pi) is vs an engineered design such as GHL or Apex? I would absolutely go down the DIY rabbit hole if it was proven superior but where is this info?

RedReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I don’t have a controller now, but I’ve had an Apex in the past and it was pretty good. 10 years ago… I’m sure everything is more reliable now. I tried looking at the other two main brands of controllers and I always get led back to Apex. Never tried GHl.

YOYOYOReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have ghl lights and have not had any issues with them at all.

I dont trust any of the reef controllers. i would only use any brand of current controller as a monitor. i really cant believe how many people think a whole system controller is needed. I do run milwaukee orp controllers as a top level ozone failsafe and have had great luck with the milwaukee ph monitors. All probes drift even what we in the hobby have been told are lab grade are toys to real chemists. Start buying toledo metler or all cole parmer branded equipment and you see what it costs to really do things right... for full automation would recommend getting some real lab grade gear , but i would not really recommend full automation if you set your system up right and have the real estate to have a fish room its easy .

TokenReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have ghl lights and have not had any issues with them at all.

I dont trust any of the reef controllers. i would only use any brand of current controller as a monitor. i really cant believe how many people think a whole system controller is needed. I do run milwaukee orp controllers as a top level ozone failsafe and have had great luck with the milwaukee ph monitors. All probes drift even what we in the hobby have been told are lab grade are toys to real chemists. Start buying toledo metler or all cole parmer branded equipment and you see what it costs to really do things right... for full automation would recommend getting some real lab grade gear , but i would not really recommend full automation if you set your system up right and have the real estate to have a fish room its easy .
You're right; I just want some parameters monitored. I'd be worried having life in the tank hinging on the possibility of a glitch. I also don't wanna spend tons ;)

YOYOYOReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i like the idea of the auto testers too. i mean wow that alkatronic seems to be the holy grail but i dont dont trust any probes to not drift......... or the trident would be sweet, instead of $600 machinery, plus the refills (and hoping its all calibrated right ) i can send out samples for 30-40 icp tests i really only icp test every 6 months unless its a new tank or have had some issue.. i have ph meters but really i dont keep any test kits , i just icp makes it simple

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been using GHL equipment since around 2009. There have been some issues there around 90 % of them was caused by myself. Leaked water, suddenly brain dead (my own) and so on. Hardware failure in some rare occasions like the first 2.1 dosers there the blue plastic cover break and block individual pumps, sensitive relay on the power hub ( you need to have smaller load than expected) and failure because of no maintenance at all. (IME - the floaters works very well but they need maintenance now and then) I have used 30 + of these during my years and may have had one that just break down.

And I trust my equipment as much as I trust every electrical comercial controlling system. You need to follow them up now and then - you need to maintain them in order to have them working properly.

Sincerely Lasse

MaddyP

'Til Reefdom Come...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Full disclosure I don't have any controller, but I want one. What do you suppose the failure rate of a diy controller (e.g. reef pi) is vs an engineered design such as GHL or Apex? I would absolutely go down the DIY rabbit hole if it was proven superior but where is this info?
Depends on the hardware and software combination used. Are you interested in the technical side or not? These factors play into the right choice of a commercially available system or going the DIY route.

Last edited:

MaddyP

'Til Reefdom Come...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly I wouldn’t call that an improvement.
Maybe it works for you, but the vast majority of people, a DIY option isn’t even an option. Most don’t have the know how to do it and a lot of people wouldn’t want to. Then add in the fact that if anything happens it’s 1000% on you with no support.
that’s no better than what’s out now
We will have to disagree on this point. Just because it’s DIY doesn’t mean it isn’t an option for those less technically inclined. Several DIY controller solutions exist which are relatively plug and play. I also believe most people don’t go the DIY route simply because it seems more complex when in reality it isn’t much different than programming an Apex.

And do you think Neptune or GHL will have your back if something goes wrong? Lol…you will always be on your own.

HBtank

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Neptune Aquacontroller Jr. lasted 15 years, the DC8 recently started going out, so upgrading to a new Neptune system. Hanging in there with the DC4 and extra bars. Would just replace if it wasn’t impossible to find a new bar.

Hard to ask for more than 15 years of continuous perfect operation.

HBtank

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We will have to disagree on this point. Just because it’s DIY doesn’t mean it isn’t an option for those less technically inclined. Several DIY controller solutions exist which are relatively plug and play. I also believe most people don’t go the DIY route simply because it seems more complex when in reality it isn’t much different than programming an Apex.
A “plug and play” DIY solution?

8553CD39-0433-456D-8476-75E035B88CCB.gif

And do you think Neptune or GHL will have your back if something goes wrong? Lol…you will always be on your own.
What is this based on? What does “have your back” even mean?

Last edited:

GlassMunky

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

It’s not the programming that’s the thing. MOST people won’t want to deal with having to source all the parts and put everything together themselves and then still have to do all the programming.
maybe you’re the odd one out here who that doesn’t bother, but with the majority of American consumers, nah that crap won’t fly. We want to have a product that works off the shelf. Period.
My Neptune Aquacontroller Jr. lasted 15 years, the DC8 recently started going out, so upgrading to a new Neptune system. Hanging in there with the DC4 and extra bars. Would just replace if it wasn’t impossible to find a new bar.

Hard to ask for more than 15 years of continuous perfect operation.
I’m in the same boat. I’ve had my apex jr and apex classic continuously running for over a decade without problem. I did have an issue with one of their modules at one point and a phone call or 2 with apex and they had a new part sent out to me.

A “plug and play” DIY solution?

8553CD39-0433-456D-8476-75E035B88CCB.gif

What is this based on? What does “have your back” even mean?
Yea I find this post laughable.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 42 35.0%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 25 20.8%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.5%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.5%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 25.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.3%
Back