How much Phosphate in DIY Fish Food?

Nick Rose

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was wondering how much phosphate would be in DIY fish food but mainly Spirulina. The fish food I made was 1lb shrimp, 1lb scallop, .37lbs of Flying Fish Roe, 2 sheets of nori and Dixie cup of Spirulina. I think I put in too much Spirulina but don't know. I feed 1 cube in the morning and 1 in the evening. The cubes are 1/2"x1/2"x1/2". The reason I ask is that my phosphates have been holding steady below 1ppm(I know thats high). Theres been times that its .5 and the ICP test I had a reading of .16ppm of phosphorus. The tank is a 60gallon system, has several coral, 6 fish, protein skimmer, filter sock, and large ball of chaeto. I dont have any algae outbreak but do have some algae on the glass.

Gareth elliott

Read, Tinker, Fail, Learn
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was wondering how much phosphate would be in DIY fish food but mainly Spirulina. The fish food I made was 1lb shrimp, 1lb scallop, .37lbs of Flying Fish Roe, 2 sheets of nori and Dixie cup of Spirulina. I think I put in too much Spirulina but don't know. I feed 1 cube in the morning and 1 in the evening. The cubes are 1/2"x1/2"x1/2". The reason I ask is that my phosphates have been holding steady below 1ppm(I know thats high). Theres been times that its .5 and the ICP test I had a reading of .16ppm of phosphorus. The tank is a 60gallon system, has several coral, 6 fish, protein skimmer, filter sock, and large ball of chaeto. I dont have any algae outbreak but do have some algae on the glass.
Too many variables to guess the P content in your food. I can say spirulina powder is nutrient dense i use to feed tree frog tadpoles and it does muck the water up quite a bit even using .1mg per dish.

You could test if could standardize a portion and feed to a known volume of water and allow x time for breakdown. Say a 2lt soda bottle with an air line. Add 1 cube test with a hanna checker after some number of days. Just be sure to top off.

Divide by 2 and then multiply by the liters in your tank. Will give a rough idea how much you are adding with each cube.

phosphate binds very well to aragonite, so even if you fed 0 cubes you will not see a depreciable value change for some time.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 145 88.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.8%
Back