How Much Phyto Do You Feed?

sundog101

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How much phytoplankton to do feed your tank? I add about 60 mL daily for my 120 gallon system. However, I’ve heard of some people adding a lot more.

OP
OP
sundog101

sundog101

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A couple sponges and feather dusters (I know there’s some argument to if they consume phyto though). Mostly I like to think it helps support the lower food chain.

keddre

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know there’s some argument to if they consume phyto though
I didn't know there was a controversy, mine have been eating phyto for the past 4/5 months

Either way, you just have to watch their behavior to tell if they are getting enough. Feather Dusters shouldn't be to skittish when they are properly fed, mine only hide when they are actually touched. As far as the sponge, just watch, if it starts shrinking in size then you may not be feeding enought

JonnyTorch

Sober
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use Area 51 Phyto and feed 1 cap a day, 1 cap per 25 gallons.
Good info. I've heard algaebarn say to dose around 5ml per 20 gallons, and then "slowly increase as your tank needs it." but I think you're on the ball here. I dozed around what you said, a capful for 20-25 gallons for about a month and then increased it to around 15ml a day.. green hair algae bloom. I did what algaebarn said, to increase phyto to help combat the hair algae, and low and behold it got worse. I decreased back to the 5ml (1 capful) daily and it's receding, and my pod count is still where it should be, my dragonet is fat.

Kynzo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good info. I've heard algaebarn say to dose around 5ml per 20 gallons, and then "slowly increase as your tank needs it." but I think you're on the ball here. I dozed around what you said, a capful for 20-25 gallons for about a month and then increased it to around 15ml a day.. green hair algae bloom. I did what algaebarn said, to increase phyto to help combat the hair algae, and low and behold it got worse. I decreased back to the 5ml (1 capful) daily and it's receding, and my pod count is still where it should be, my dragonet is fat.
How big is your tank?

Kynzo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20 gallon nano
How long would you say it took to work your way up to 5ml? I've been dosing for like a week and so far I'm only doing 20 drops for 30 gallons, started at 15.

JonnyTorch

Sober
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long would you say it took to work your way up to 5ml? I've been dosing for like a week and so far I'm only doing 20 drops for 30 gallons, started at 15.
I would honestly just do it. 5ml for 30 is fine. But more than that + feeding heavy will def cause a buildup of algae

Themastaa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My question for dosing, is do you just put it in the water or do you need to squirt the corals with a Pipete?

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 49 35.0%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 29 20.7%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 11 7.9%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.1%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 36 25.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.6%
Back