How much phyto

ectoaesthetics

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all,

For those making their own phyto at home how much do you add to your systems, and how large is your system?

Although it is hard to tell exact cell count/density I figured we are all somewhere within a reasonable range of each other. Looking to get a consensus on how much home made phyto we are all using in our tanks (aside from our rotifer cultures and pod cultures). It's not like our home cultures come with a "suggested" dosing on their label.

sde1500

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I culture tetraselmis and nanochloropsis, 1 gallon of nano goes into the tank over a two week period, the tet goes to feeding copepod tanks. My tank is 65 gallons

Lninwa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I put 15ml every night around 11pm. Haven't seen any adverse reactions

I started adding phyto to feed the copepods but now have a ton of diatoms. Haven’t added phyto in a month but the diatoms persists. Any idea how to get rid of the diatoms?

Dennis McGrath

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started adding phyto to feed the copepods but now have a ton of diatoms. Haven’t added phyto in a month but the diatoms persists. Any idea how to get rid of the diatoms?
Have you tried Vibrant? I had a diatom problem and I had no visible diatoms within 5 days.

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dosing
http://www.saltwateraquariumblog.co...ds/dosing-phytoplankton-in-a-marine-aquarium/
As far as diatoms being caused by phyto. I have never seen any facts that can prove this. Diatoms feed on silcates. Unless your phyto is full of silicates you should not have a diatom bloom. The bloom could be brown algae or bacteria.
Quoted from noaa ocean service
" The two main classes of phytoplankton are dinoflagellates and diatoms. Dinoflagellates use a whip-like tail, or flagella, to move through the water and their bodies are covered with complex shells. Diatoms also have shells, but they are made of a different substance and their structure is rigid and made of interlocking parts. Diatoms do not rely on flagella to move through the water and instead rely on ocean currents to travel through the water.

In a balanced ecosystem, phytoplankton provide food for a wide range of sea creatures including whales, shrimp, snails, and jellyfish. When too many nutrients are available, phytoplankton may grow out of control and form harmful algal blooms (HABs). These blooms can produce extremely toxic compounds that have harmful effects on fish, shellfish, mammals, birds, and even people. "

Zeal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven't had any issues I dose it really late at night 11. Not sure if that matters.

I do it to feed my corals at night and everyone seems to be enjoying it.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 28 34.1%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 20 24.4%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 7 8.5%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 6.1%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 20 24.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.4%
Back