How much rock for 55g

AdamNC

Lawnmower Blenny says nom nom
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A general rule is 1-2 lbs per gallon. Take it for what it’s worth, I tried that and ended up removing a few of the small pieces I had bought.

OP
OP
edc_aquarium

edc_aquarium

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A general rule is 1-2 lbs per gallon. Take it for what it’s worth, I tried that and ended up removing a few of the small pieces I had bought.
I'm trying to keep it cheap because I really don't want to spend 50-60 dollars on rock

Somuchflo99

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your rock makes the tank I spent 100 dollars on mine for a 20 gal tank at almost 5 dollars a lb it really pays for itself

madweazl

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it's the typical 55g (48x13x21), you can easily get away with 30lbs if you make a nice open structure. 55 gallons are tough because they're so narrow. Stick to smaller pieces and use epoxy to form a nice open aquascape.

Bob3655

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not to sound like a turd but you're going to spend way more than $50-60 bucks for enough rock for a 55 gallon. I just spent $300 on rock for setting my 50 gallon back up, and I got a super fat discount. Your live rock is going to be one of your lifelines of your tank, its not something you want to cheap out on, especially during start up. If you just keep adding more and more later down the road you're going to face other issues and frustrations versus doing it all now. If you don't have the cash its worth it waiting a few more months before starting up if you need to. Rushing start up is not something you want to do. You might not notice any downsides immediately, but give it a few months and you're going to drive yourself crazy when all of your corals start closing up and you realize you're pushing over 80ppm nitrates and cant get it lower even with big water changes.

Legal Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I spent $100.00 on live rock for my 7.5 gallon nano. For the biological filtration it provides my tank I feel it saves me money in the long run. I've heard of some problems with using certain types of dry rock. If your looking for something lighter weight that will give you more bang for your buck check out pukani dry rock. It looks to be good size rocks at a lighter weight. Just do your research before you decide. My 7.5 gallon is a budget build, but I couldn't
Screenshot_20171119-204657.png
Screenshot_20171119-210523.png
scrimp on the rock. The rock is the biggest expense in my tank build.

cgdcinc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And so the spending begins![emoji23] Check out @reefcleaners.org. I think it was about 30 bucks for 15 pounds. It’s clean and cured.

J604

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He is talking about dry rock not live rock if I read the question correctly...

Kinettik

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He is talking about dry rock not live rock if I read the question correctly...

Being new to the hobby makes dry rock a worse option, IMO. Also, while purchasing the rock may be cheaper, curing the rock not only raises that cost but the amount of time it takes to effectively start the cycling process, which has to have some offsetting value.

PNWReefer17

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How much rock should I have for my 55 gallon tank?

Do understand that there are several great points made here and they are all correct. You can do a nice rock setup on a budget (it really is possible) if you are willing to hunt around. I set up a 30 gallon nano and I have somewhere between 40 lbs or so of live rock in it and I was able to find it for $3 a lb. I'm working on a 75 gallon right now and have found another 40 lbs or so for $2.50 a lb. My point is, deals are out there. Check those Craigslist ads or local Facebook groups. You'd be surprised with what you can find. Happy hunting!

OP
OP
edc_aquarium

edc_aquarium

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do understand that there are several great points made here and they are all correct. You can do a nice rock setup on a budget (it really is possible) if you are willing to hunt around. I set up a 30 gallon nano and I have somewhere between 40 lbs or so of live rock in it and I was able to find it for $3 a lb. I'm working on a 75 gallon right now and have found another 40 lbs or so for $2.50 a lb. My point is, deals are out there. Check those Craigslist ads or local Facebook groups. You'd be surprised with what you can find. Happy hunting!
I've been looking all over the place and I found someone that is selling a whole bin of dry rock it's about 60 pounds of it for 25$

Daltrey

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 12 8.8%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 47 34.3%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 44 32.1%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 32 23.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back