How much silica to dose for dinos?

TheReefDiary

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
okay so I identified that I have the dinos that retreat into the sandbed at night. I want to induce a diatom bloom for them to outcompete the dinos. how much of brightwells spongexcel should I dose? thanks!

OP
OP
TheReefDiary

TheReefDiary

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you ever get to the bottom of this question? I have large cell Amphidinium. Tried everything else including H2O2 so not I’m turning to spongexcel and trying to get dosing amount in laymen’s terms.
honestly i just blind dosed. i dosed mb7 daily and silicates a few times a week. got my nitrates and phosphates up and then boom gone in a couple weeks.

RobbieMaynard

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the quick response! Awesome glad to hear you beat it.
That’s pretty much what I’m doing MB7/clean dose rotating each day and daily sponge excel. Going slow. Have a silicate test kit coming tomorrow. Been battling Dino’s for 3 months. Partial issue was I was slow to identify. My nutrients never bottomed out completely so it’s been a head scratcher so as of now I’m following the suspicions of dry rock as the culprit.

OP
OP
TheReefDiary

TheReefDiary

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the quick response! Awesome glad to hear you beat it.
That’s pretty much what I’m doing MB7/clean dose rotating each day and daily sponge excel. Going slow. Have a silicate test kit coming tomorrow. Been battling Dino’s for 3 months. Partial issue was I was slow to identify. My nutrients never bottomed out completely so it’s been a head scratcher so as of now I’m following the suspicions of dry rock as the culprit.
honestly it's just time and commitment to beat it. I had it for 3 months in my other tank and then one day gone.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 108 87.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.4%
Back