How Much Tampa Bay Live Rock For 90G Tank?

ShaggyRS6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I plan on ordering this rock tomorrow so would really appreciate some feedback. I looked at the Tamp Bays recommended amount of rock for a 90G tank (I have a WB 100.3) and it's about 180lbs worth. Is this too much? Or the right amount? Or could I go less? What I would like to do is order some of that Caribsea rock, just because of the shapes available. With that said, I want to do this right.

So if you have any advice that would be great!

JustinSmi86

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I plan on ordering this rock tomorrow so would really appreciate some feedback. I looked at the Tamp Bays recommended amount of rock for a 90G tank (I have a WB 100.3) and it's about 180lbs worth. Is this too much? Or the right amount? Or could I go less? What I would like to do is order some of that Caribsea rock, just because of the shapes available. With that said, I want to do this right.

So if you have any advice that would be great!
Rule of thumb I see frequently is 1.5 times. 100gal 150lbs... I prefer to run on the heavy side and run about 200 in my 85 gallon system.

OP
OP
ShaggyRS6

ShaggyRS6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok thanks so far. I am also assuming that I do follow his instructions on cycling. i.e. Add no bacteria, but just do the water changes.

"Make sure you have a new, good ammonia test kit. Test the tank at least twice a day (morning and evening). As soon as the level gets above one part per million, change enough water to bring it down to safe levels. For example, if your test shows that you're at 1.25ppm, you'll need do approximately a 25% water change to get it below 1ppm. It may take 4 to 7 days or more of water changes until the tank cycles. "

OP
OP
ShaggyRS6

ShaggyRS6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So the general consensus is about 100? See below:

gg.JPG

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would see how it looks with your tank. I've got 85lbs in my 75g tank. I wish I had a little less. It would leave more swimming room for the fish. I'll stick by my 70lbs -90 if you want 100.

OP
OP
ShaggyRS6

ShaggyRS6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depends on what kind of a scape you want. 180lbs is the great rock wall as it is called. It really is up to you.
I have 60 lbs in my 120 as an example.

20190915_192943.jpg
Yeah I dont want a great Rock wall, I'd like something each end with less in the middle. If you know what I mean

StevePhx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know you didn’t ask but I would highly recommend quarantining the rock.

I ended up with so many pest that I gave the rock away and started over. Crabs, shrimp, fire worms etc.

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I dont want a great Rock wall, I'd like something each end with less in the middle. If you know what I mean
Yea the dual island look. I almost went that direction. My plan is to have large stag colonys that dominate eventually.
Good luck, stick with your plan, and get the look you want on the first try as it leads to stability.

OP
OP
ShaggyRS6

ShaggyRS6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I ended up with so many pest that I gave the rock away and started over. Crabs, shrimp, fire worms etc.
This is the only thing that slightly concerns me. I know I wont quarantine it, I'm just being 100% up front, I never have been too concerned with pests. I just deal with them as and when.

Dragonreef202

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

yes you should absolutely quarantine the rock before you put it in your display tank. I started my tank with dry rock and a couple of pieces of lie rock from the LFS. There's no need to rush anything that could possibly harm your tank later. Be cautious.

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea the dual island look. I almost went that direction. My plan is to have large stag colonys that dominate eventually.
Good luck, stick with your plan, and get the look you want on the first try as it leads to stability.
Than you may want a little less. More like 70. If you need more you can order it. Walls take a lot more rock. Island take less. Just my experience.

OP
OP
ShaggyRS6

ShaggyRS6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now I am wondering if I am going to go this way. The more I look into how many pests there COULD be the more I worry. I may save a lot of hassle by going the Caribsea Life rock route and then just seed as you normally would with Dr Tim's or something similar.

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now I am wondering if I am going to go this way. The more I look into how many pests there COULD be the more I worry. I may save a lot of hassle by going the Caribsea Life rock route and then just seed as you normally would with Dr Tim's or something similar.
On my 120 I have 30lbs caribsea and 15lbs live rock that came from my nano and 15lbs live rock that came from my lfs.
Do half caribsea and half live.
I believe live is worth the minor trouble.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 33 33.3%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 21 21.2%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 9.1%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 6 6.1%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 27 27.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.0%
Back