How much to feed 2 clowns

Sjhoppes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi there,

I have 2 clowns that I just put in my tank. Other than that it’s just introverts. I have 2 types of frozen cubes food to feed them. Was planning on giving them a quarter cube of each every other day? Does this seem reasonable? Thanks!

mta_morrow

Of course I have room for 1 more fish!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Put a cube in a small container and add salt water to thaw it out.

Feed them what they will eat every day, not every other day.

If your bioload can handle it, feed them twice a day.

OP
OP
Sjhoppes

Sjhoppes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Put a cube in a small container and add salt water to thaw it out.

Feed them what they will eat every day, not every other day.

If your bioload can handle it, feed them twice a day.
I read quite a bit about over feeding being a problem so I wanted to be sure I didn’t overfeed. I don’t have spare saltwater sitting around. Any other productive way to thaw? Also, I am assuming I just pitch the rest after they’re done eating?

mta_morrow

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I read quite a bit about over feeding being a problem so I wanted to be sure I didn’t overfeed. I don’t have spare saltwater sitting around. Any other productive way to thaw? Also, I am assuming I just pitch the rest after they’re done eating?
Put the unused portion in the fridge. I thaw enough to feed for 4-5 days at a time. Won’t go bad in a couple days.

Once a day is ok if you have to.

OP
OP
Sjhoppes

Sjhoppes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Put the unused portion in the fridge. I thaw enough to feed for 4-5 days at a time. Won’t go bad in a couple days.

Once a day is ok if you have to.
Great, I’ll try that tonight when I feed them and see how much they’ll eat.

Dragon52

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Put the food in a small cup & add a little water from the tank to thaw out what you plan on feeding them for that day.

mta_morrow

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great, I’ll try that tonight when I feed them and see how much they’ll eat.

Great! A little bit at a time till they don’t eat any more. You CUC will get the leftovers!

mta_morrow

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fed them 1/8 of a cube. Seemed to be about right, maybe even a bit too much.
Cool. So if you thaw out one cube and keep it in the fridge, it will last about a week.

Please note the mysis has little nutritional value. I add a couple drops of selcon once it’s thawed and swish it around.

Absolutely the best vitamins for your fish. You will be amazed at how much they will color up and be healthier

OP
OP
Sjhoppes

Sjhoppes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cool. So if you thaw out one cube and keep it in the fridge, it will last about a week.

Please note the mysis has little nutritional value. I add a couple drops of selcon once it’s thawed and swish it around.

Absolutely the best vitamins for your fish. You will be amazed at how much they will color up and be healthier
Here’s what I am feeding.

613D1099-C0B6-4620-A13E-153D371A8445.jpeg

mta_morrow

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here’s what I am feeding.

613D1099-C0B6-4620-A13E-153D371A8445.jpeg
That’s good quality food. Just saying selcon makes food better. You don’t have to have it, but it’s good stuff and a bottle will last a year.

OP
OP
Sjhoppes

Sjhoppes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s good quality food. Just saying selcon makes food better. You don’t have to have it, but it’s good stuff and a bottle will last a year.
I’m glad it is, that’s what they recommended. When I go get some snails this week I’ll grab a bottle. Algae is getting a little crazy. Joys of a new tank from what I read.

mta_morrow

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m glad it is, that’s what they recommended. When I go get some snails this week I’ll grab a bottle. Algae is getting a little crazy. Joys of a new tank from what I read.
Please start a thread about your algae issue in the nuisance algae forum and tag me. We can help with that too.

roberthu526

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

It doesn’t have to be that way. Keep up with the water change since your tank is small and use fluconazle to kill off the algae then heavily stop up the tank with corals, especially softies and LPS. They will soak up the nutrient and keep algae at bay. It’s a matter of who gets a head start.

frank the tank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have about the same situation as you do with two clowns, I set up an auto feeder with some TDO Chroma Boost pellets to feed them a small amount in the morning when the light turns on. And then when I get home from work I quarter a frozen cube and thaw it out and I use a turkey baster to slowly add the food to the tank as they eat it as soon as they loose interest I stop adding to the tank. that way I don't get a lot of extra food floating around the tank that way

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 4 20.0%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 16 80.0%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 4 20.0%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 1 5.0%
  • Other

Votes: 2 10.0%
Back