How much water does your tank evaporate each week

How much water does your tank evaporate each week?

• 1-5 gallons

Votes: 51 31.7%
  • 5-9 gallons

Votes: 64 39.8%
  • 10-15 gallons

Votes: 19 11.8%
  • 15-20 gallons

Votes: 8 5.0%
  • 20-25 gallons

Votes: 5 3.1%
  • 25+ gallons (how much)

Votes: 14 8.7%

• Total voters

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How much water does your tank evaporate each week and how large is your tank? Do you take any precautionary measures to limit the evaporation amount?

I go through about 30 gallons a week on a 240 gallon tank. Feel like that is a lot, but in my past set up, I didn’t monitor it as closely as I do now. My Rodi used to run to my ato non stop refilling it. After I moved, I had space for a small fish room so I switched from a 5 gallon bucket to to 32 gallon brute can. I let it run out before I refill. Which is also WAY better for your RoDi cartridges!

There are many variables which effect evaporation. One is the amount of humidity in the room.

Evaporation tends to be higher in the winter months as heating systems dry out the air as the house is warmed. During the summer, higher humidity translates to slower evaporation.

Invest in an auto top off system to address this issue.

shakacuz

hang loose, cuz
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
after getting an ATO+res, i have noticed that i go through more water in the winter than i do in the summer.

roughly using 5-9G/week on a 40B. i have a lot of water movement, so this could be a contributing factor..

AlexG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Right now I am evaporating ~50 gallons/week or~2% system volume/week for a 2100gallon system. The evaporation rate is up due to drier winter conditions. Normally the system evaporates ~30-40gallons/week.

OP
OP
biecacka

biecacka

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are many variables which effect evaporation. One is the amount of humidity in the room.

Evaporation tends to be higher in the winter months as heating systems dry out the air as the house is warmed. During the summer, higher humidity translates to slower evaporation.

Invest in an auto top off system to address this issue.
I use an ATO. Tunze, one if the best investments I have made in my decades of reefing! Great invention. I am aware of the various variables that could impact the evaporation, I was just curious what others are going through on their systems. The 30 gallon is way better than my old 5 because it gives me about a week. Good guess on my end! It lets me dump some kalk in it and come back the following week!

corey

OP
OP
biecacka

biecacka

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The last time I checked I averaged around 2g per day on my 125. I don't know anymore because my ato is automatically filled from my rodi.
I used to fill my ato as it was used. It burns through rodi canisters though. No I just turn it on when it’s empty and let it fill up over a few hours.
do you notice going through more cartridges For your rodi unit

corey

OP
OP
biecacka

biecacka

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I-O!

Yeah... undergrad and med school. Loved OSU campus and Columbus. Couldn't tolerate the weather...
What type of medicine? I live in columbus, but commute to Wright state near Dayton for a post bacc program to try and get into medical school.
yes. The weather is horrible

corey

KStatefan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am up to about 1.5 gallons per day now. If we get a prolonged cold snap I expect to get close to 2 gallons per day. In the summer was about 1 gallon per day.

Lyss

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I typically lose about 2 cups/day in my Max Nano. So a bit less than 1 gallon/wk but for our purposes I'll say 1 gal/wk. One thing that helps is the lid I have -- it has an insert over the center of the mesh that helps to keep some evaporation in but still allows for plenty of air flow.

workhz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
About 5% a week. Up slightly in the winter. Down slightly in the summer.

legionofdoon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Little more than 5 gallons a week in the summer when my AC is running. It's finally been cooling off the last month and can open up my windows so I'm going about a week and a half to fill up my 5 gallon container for my ATO. 40 breeder with 40 breeder sump. Based on water changes it's 65 total water volume.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 37.5%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 13 23.2%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 11 19.6%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 11 19.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back