How much weight can a rim on an aquarium take?

AydenLincoln

Pufferfish lover!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
The skimmer in particular is big, bulky, and heavy. I worry about the weight of it on my Aqueon tank. Does anyone know how much weight it can support or has anyone had success hanging heavy filtration on a rimmed aquarium run longterm? The filter and skimmer which is acrylic is heavy and bulky and I worry about it. I was thinking about adding a hob refugium too.
04CAAD1C-42C2-4227-9BA3-64EBD5441226.jpeg

Last edited:

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With the trim it should hold a good amount of weight.. how much exactly I’m not sure but I personally wouldn’t hesitate to hang what ever I needed on that tank because it’s braced top and bottom.. rimless would be a different story.

OP
OP
AydenLincoln

AydenLincoln

Pufferfish lover!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
With the trim it should hold a good amount of weight.. how much exactly I’m not sure but I personally wouldn’t hesitate to hang what ever I needed on that tank because it’s braced top and bottom.. rimless would be a different story.
Okay thank you! That’s good to know.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For a significant period in this hobby, larger HOB filters were all that people used (and were available). I never once heard that those were the cause of a tank failure. If you still feel concerned, you could always put a support strut under the skimmer.

Tcook

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With a proper hanger and stand-offs that they are designed with the force is directed down. Should be no problem.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 113 87.6%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.2%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.3%
Back