How of do you clean your sump?! Any tips or tricks?

ajjw0828

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Everyone,

I'm running a bare bottom tank and seem to develop a lot of detritus in the sump area of the tank. I was running filter socks for a long time that helped keep it clean but have since stopped as I feel the SPS look better. Feel like I'm cleaning it out every month. Is this typical? My skimmer is working good but I'm wondering if I can do anything to keep it clean for longer periods. Been considering adding a maxi jet to blow it around and keep the detritus from settling and hopefully allow my skimmer to suck it up. Any advice or is this just what it is?

Thanks!

AJ

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I siphon when I do my water change. I do not believe there is any benefit for completely 'cleaning' the sump. (I.e. cleaning the glass/acrylic).

jmsilhy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Following, I'm also trying to get some tricks or tips. Is there a vacuum of some kind that people use, or just a plain 'ol siphon?

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just get a pump and attach a hose to it going into a sock. I use a quiet one.
Turn it on and stir up the bottom a few times as the hose goes into a sock.
You will be done in no time.
I do it every 6 months.

jspuck25

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I cut a hole in the lid of a 5 gallon bucket to fit a filter sock and siphon detritus into the sock. Then return the water to the tank. They also make inline pumps if your sump is ground level.

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Everyone,

I'm running a bare bottom tank and seem to develop a lot of detritus in the sump area of the tank. I was running filter socks for a long time that helped keep it clean but have since stopped as I feel the SPS look better. Feel like I'm cleaning it out every month. Is this typical? My skimmer is working good but I'm wondering if I can do anything to keep it clean for longer periods. Been considering adding a maxi jet to blow it around and keep the detritus from settling and hopefully allow my skimmer to suck it up. Any advice or is this just what it is?

Thanks!

AJ

I have operated a mud macro refugium for 25 years. No socks in refugium. In 25 years, muck has increased in depth by 1/2” from 3/4” to 5/4” and feels spongy to the touch. Corals, sponges, sea apples, flame scallops and numerous other filter feeders benefit from this organic muck in refugium/sump.

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have operated a mud macro refugium for 25 years. No socks in refugium. In 25 years, muck has increased in depth by 1/2” from 3/4” to 5/4” and feels spongy to the touch. Corals, sponges, sea apples, flame scallops and numerous other filter feeders benefit from this organic muck in refugium/sump.

[I think one of the most important, and least understood or mentioned things in a reef tank is "mulm". That stuff that grows in the dark portions of a tank if it is set up long enough. "Mulm" is a combination of algae, sponges, bacteria, pods, worms, detritus, poop and any thing else that can be propagated or grown in the dark. I realize most people would immediately get out the sponge, razor blade or grenade to remove it but there is a word I like to use to describe those people. That word is "wrong". Mulm is a natural product that you will find in the sea all over the world. Our tanks run on bacteria, algae and a food chain. Bacteria and a food chain are dependent on having a place to reproduce. Mulm is the perfect place. Rocks and glass are flat surfaces that are only two dimensional. Mulm makes these places three dimensional allowing much more space for bacteria and microscopic organisms to grow and do the macarana. (Then love to dance) Pods, which are needed for any small fish also need to eat and their numbers are directly related to how much food they can get their hands on (or whatever pods use to eat with) The more food, the more pods, the more pods, the easier to keep smaller fish. Larger fish such as copperbands and angels also eat pods.
Many people try to keep fish such as pipefish, mandarins or other dragonettes in a sterile tank and while feeding them a couple of times a day with tiger pods or some other expensive food. Those types of fish will not live for long in such a tank and they certainly won't spawn which I consider the "only" criteria to determine the state of health for any paired fish.]

Terr-c

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

[I think one of the most important, and least understood or mentioned things in a reef tank is "mulm". That stuff that grows in the dark portions of a tank if it is set up long enough. "Mulm" is a combination of algae, sponges, bacteria, pods, worms, detritus, poop and any thing else that can be propagated or grown in the dark. I realize most people would immediately get out the sponge, razor blade or grenade to remove it but there is a word I like to use to describe those people. That word is "wrong". Mulm is a natural product that you will find in the sea all over the world. Our tanks run on bacteria, algae and a food chain. Bacteria and a food chain are dependent on having a place to reproduce. Mulm is the perfect place. Rocks and glass are flat surfaces that are only two dimensional. Mulm makes these places three dimensional allowing much more space for bacteria and microscopic organisms to grow and do the macarana. (Then love to dance) Pods, which are needed for any small fish also need to eat and their numbers are directly related to how much food they can get their hands on (or whatever pods use to eat with) The more food, the more pods, the more pods, the easier to keep smaller fish. Larger fish such as copperbands and angels also eat pods.
Many people try to keep fish such as pipefish, mandarins or other dragonettes in a sterile tank and while feeding them a couple of times a day with tiger pods or some other expensive food. Those types of fish will not live for long in such a tank and they certainly won't spawn which I consider the "only" criteria to determine the state of health for any paired

Terr-c

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Subsea THANK YOU!! I have had my tank set up for almost a year and in my sump pods are growing like crazy. I pick them out of the sponges to save them before I clean the sponges. I was worried about NOT cleaning my sump as detritus and other things are accumulating. BUT didn't want to lose my pods!

zalick

A cup of water and a dash of salt
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just get a pump and attach a hose to it going into a sock. I use a quiet one.
Turn it on and stir up the bottom a few times as the hose goes into a sock.
You will be done in no time.
I do it every 6 months.
I do this as well. Works like a charm.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

Many people try to keep fish such as pipefish, mandarins or other dragonettes in a sterile tank and while feeding them a couple of times a day with tiger pods or some other expensive food. Those types of fish will not live for long in such a tank and they certainly won't spawn which I consider the "only" criteria to determine the state of health for any paired fish.]
I think this is correct. That said - I was thinking about this today - as I vacuumed lightly - the total bottom of my sump getting rid of a bunch of brown gunk. It will reaccumulatet over the next several months - as it has over the last (since the last time) - To me he difference in 'our tanks' and 'the reef' - is that periodically - a storm comes in - a heavier tide comes in - sometimes bringing in more nutrients - sometimes sweeping old stuff out. I do not see an advantage - to keeping debris 'for ever' in a tank - nor does it seem prudent to keep it 'sterile'.

zalick

A cup of water and a dash of salt
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think this is correct. That said - I was thinking about this today - as I vacuumed lightly - the total bottom of my sump getting rid of a bunch of brown gunk. It will reaccumulatet over the next several months - as it has over the last (since the last time) - To me he difference in 'our tanks' and 'the reef' - is that periodically - a storm comes in - a heavier tide comes in - sometimes bringing in more nutrients - sometimes sweeping old stuff out. I do not see an advantage - to keeping debris 'for ever' in a tank - nor does it seem prudent to keep it 'sterile'.
Yup. And also on a natural reef sediment works it's way down down down constantly getting turned over and consumed. We have no such process in your sumps

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Yup. And also on a natural reef sediment works it's way down down down constantly getting turned over and consumed. We have no such process in your sumps
Actually - depending on whats in your sump (i.e. a refugium) - it can be consumed, etc. But I agree with you - I dont have a refugium. I never quite understood the point (I know heresy) - to me there is no magic - its just seeing a 'dirty area' in the tank that may allow (if there is algae, etc) - export when its cleaned. Me Redsea reefer has some live rock in the area where the initial water comes down - then the socks - then the open area - containing a skimmer - and an oxydator. there is a bag of chemipure Blue in the first section - and in the last section near the pump - thats it. (oh and a heater). There are all sorts of hard corals growing on the sides of the glass - no clue what they are - never see them in the tank. 'Mulm' does accumulate - and periodically - every 3rd or 4th water change - I suck it out. (or most of it)

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
“I do not see an advantage - to keeping debris 'for ever' in a tank - nor does it seem prudent to keep it 'sterile'.

Obviously, it’s a Question of Balance. Starting with fish detritus, I would say there is much nutritional value. As detritus is consumed of its nutritional value, its substance is less nutritional and more an inert mineral.

Back