How of do you clean your sump?! Any tips or tricks?

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
“I do not see an advantage - to keeping debris 'for ever' in a tank - nor does it seem prudent to keep it 'sterile'.

Obviously, it’s a Question of Balance. Starting with fish detritus, I would say there is much nutritional value. As detritus is consumed of its nutritional value, its substance is less nutritional and more an inert mineral.
I think you're probably right - but 'if its an inert material' - there is no harm to removing it (i.e. its doing nothing'?). I mean would a sponge in the same spot do the same thing>

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Actually - depending on whats in your sump (i.e. a refugium) - it can be consumed, etc. But I agree with you - I dont have a refugium. I never quite understood the point (I know heresy) - to me there is no magic - its just seeing a 'dirty area' in the tank that may allow (if there is algae, etc) - export when its cleaned. Me Redsea reefer has some live rock in the area where the initial water comes down - then the socks - then the open area - containing a skimmer - and an oxydator. there is a bag of chemipure Blue in the first section - and in the last section near the pump - thats it. (oh and a heater). There are all sorts of hard corals growing on the sides of the glass - no clue what they are - never see them in the tank. 'Mulm' does accumulate - and periodically - every 3rd or 4th water change - I suck it out. (or most of it)

While refugiums can be many things, my main goal is nutrient recycling not nutrient export.

Miracle mud & detritus makes for a robust worm colony that recycles organic nutrients into complex food webs.

Drewbacca

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Following, I'm also trying to get some tricks or tips. Is there a vacuum of some kind that people use, or just a plain 'ol siphon?
Alot of people use wet vacs dedicated to their sump use.. I like to turn of the pump and swirl each chanbercwith a small fine net in figure 8 motions

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
While refugiums can be many things, my main goal is nutrient recycling not nutrient export.

Miracle mud & detritus makes for a robust worm colony that recycles organic nutrients into complex food webs.
Great- thats a good idea - how does it help your tank? (the robust worm colony) - I mean diversity always 'sounds good - and environmental' - I dont see how it affects a closed system. I THINK what you're saying is the worms, etc - in your refugium take up nutrients to 'build themselves' (i.e. their structure) - thereby taking up nutrients. But - in reality what is the difference between this - and an algae reactor. You can grown an infinitesimal number of worms in your colony. You will have to start harvesting them - i.e. nutrient export

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great- thats a good idea - how does it help your tank? (the robust worm colony) - I mean diversity always 'sounds good - and environmental' - I dont see how it affects a closed system. I THINK what you're saying is the worms, etc - in your refugium take up nutrients to 'build themselves' (i.e. their structure) - thereby taking up nutrients. But - in reality what is the difference between this - and an algae reactor. You can grown an infinitesimal number of worms in your colony. You will have to start harvesting them - i.e. nutrient export

Larvae from different detrivores & worms feed the filter feeders in display tank. There is nothing closed about water in from display tank and water out from refugium. Water out has microbes which transfer carbon to higher trophic levels, ie the “microbial loop”.

Last edited:

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you're probably right - but 'if its an inert material' - there is no harm to removing it (i.e. its doing nothing'?). I mean would a sponge in the same spot do the same thing>

Initial post has been answered.

At the risk of hijack, I will attempt to explain a few questions that you have put forth about refugiums. When detritus first enters sump, it is not inert but rich in enzymes, bacteria and organic nutrients. At 25 years established, I can’t see thru the tube worms covering the glass.

In 25 years this inert buildup has accumulated 1/2” in refugium bottom. It’s not a high priority.

With that said, my focus on livestock is not primarily photosynthetic coral. I prefer filter feeders like sea apples, flame scallops and sponges. For that purpose, I grow as much in system live food a I can.

Last edited:

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Larvae from different detrivores & worms feed the filter feeders in display tank. There is nothing closed about water in from display tank and water out from refugium. Water out has microbes which transfer carbon to higher trophic levels, ie the “microbial loop”.
Ummm... the total system is 'closed'. I.e. eventually, you will have to remove some coral, filter feeders, worms or something. Otherwise - the entire aquarium will be filled with worms, coral filter feeders and there will be no water. Actually - what will happen is that the 'filter feeders' and 'worms' will stop growing and start dying. I mean - Do you really believe this?

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Initial post has been answered.

At the risk of hijack, I will attempt to explain a few questions that you have put forth about refugiums. When detritus first enters sump, it is not inert but rich in enzymes, bacteria and organic nutrients. At 25 years established, I can’t see thru the tube worms covering the glass.

In 25 years this inert buildup has accumulated 1/2” in refugium bottom. It’s not a high priority.

With that said, my focus on livestock is not primarily photosynthetic coral. I prefer filter feeders like sea apples, flame scallops and sponges. For that purpose, I grow as much in system live food a I can.
All good. Many people focus on different things. right? I mean - its good that you focus on a somewhat muddy dirty aquarium environment (thats not meant as an insult) - I mean its hard to grow scallops, etc - but a lot of people do not want that - and Im not sure that the method will necessarily be more (or less) beneficial than removing detritus. And thanks for informing me that the oP has been answered lol:).... Not quite sure what that meant>

darinsmall86

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just cleaned mine the other day. Attached a 3/4” hose to my shop vac and got the worst of the buildup. Going to add a couple power heads i the sump to keep everything from settling.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 18 34.0%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 11 20.8%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 4 7.5%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 9.4%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 14 26.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.9%
Back