How often and how much do you feed.

FBAA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feed once a day and probably more than I should because there is always more floating in the tank afterwards. I see the fish and crabs picking up the scraps but wonder if I am feeding too much. Nitrates stay below 10ppm and I have thought about an auto feeder. Is it really needed or required.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I feed once a day and probably more than I should because there is always more floating in the tank afterwards. I see the fish and crabs picking up the scraps but wonder if I am feeding too much. Nitrates stay below 10ppm and I have thought about an auto feeder. Is it really needed or required.
Once a day - Larrys frozen - vary it up a little bit. I have a lot of stuff in my tank the fish can 'eat'. If your nitrates are 'low' (I think 10 is relatively 'medium) - you're doing fine.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
BTW - there is a big difference between feeding frozen (which has a lot of water) vs feeding dry food.

OP
OP
FBAA

FBAA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How much is too much. Fish like to graze and an autofeeder makes sense but how much is too much.

hawk82

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feed once a day, I was doing about half a cube of san francisco bay brine shrimp. But I got some LRS last week and been trying that. I break off a few chunks of the LRS and use those. I put some Ocean Nutrition formula one flakes in some days also. I have 6 fish in my 40 breeder, Melanurus wrasse, Clownfish, Royal Gramma, Flame Hawk, Midas Bleeny, and a Banggai Cardinal. The only picky eater is the Banggai he spits flakes out, and he wont eat the LRS food unless its really small pieces, about the only thing he will eat is brine shrimp. The other fish eat like pigs, and whenever I feed the LRS my wrasse goes after the bigger pieces and his stomach gets huge! I think hes gonna pop lol.

Jbell370

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Everytime I walk past the tank as they school up to the top and I can't resist. I only use a pinch of Vitalis pellet at a time, all is gone within 2 minutes. Frozen every other day, 1 cube PE mysis

MaxTremors

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How much is too much. Fish like to graze and an autofeeder makes sense but how much is too much.
As a general rule, I try to feed an amount to where at the end of the two minutes it’s 90% eaten. Its served me well, it ensures they get enough food but also that there’s not a lot going to waste. It can be difficult to determine how much that is when you try a new food or add new inhabitants (I’d err on the side of feeding too little, you can always feed more), but once you get an idea of how much to add, its fairly easy to portion it out.

Smirkish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feed twice a day. Frozen is w/ juice. Corals get spot fed as needed. Return gets shut off for three minutes. Fish eat in less than two. Skimmer off for 30 to allow it to circulate.

12:00 pm
1 cubes of Spirulina Mysis
1 cube of Spirulina Brine
1 cube of Coral Gumbo
Mix in Reef Blizzard-A every three days.
Nori - 1/2 sheet cut into thin strips on multiple clips

6:00 pm
1 cube of Spirulina Mysis
1 cube of Spirulina Brine
30 ml phyto

davescj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feed over a couple hours. I have 2 tangs (blue hippo, sailfin tang), fox face, melanurus wrasse (who east sea weed). I alternate between 2 seaweeds (red and nori on 2 clips) and 1 mix of reef frenzy (LRS)/mystis frozen, then the opposite the next day (2 frozen and 1 each color of sea weed). When I do the double protein, I add coral food (either reef roids or zoo plankton from seachem again alternating). I put enough in to include 1 eyeball per fish + some for crabs/snails. I also have 0 nitrates.

hawk82

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you guys fish get kinda rowdy during feeding? My wrasse starts chasing others around, this is the only time he does this. And everytime someone comes near the gramma, hes opens his mouth really big, and the others are just all over the place.

dhnguyen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you guys fish get kinda rowdy during feeding? My wrasse starts chasing others around, this is the only time he does this. And everytime someone comes near the gramma, hes opens his mouth really big, and the others are just all over the place.
Of course they do. Hell... I get rowdy during my feeding time too :p

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 33 31.1%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 23.6%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 20 18.9%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 26.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back