How often and how much do you feed.

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feed once a day and probably more than I should because there is always more floating in the tank afterwards. I see the fish and crabs picking up the scraps but wonder if I am feeding too much. Nitrates stay below 10ppm and I have thought about an auto feeder. Is it really needed or required.

split it up into two feedings, the fish will thank you for it, if you see it's not all being eaten seems daft not too.

I feed 30 times a day...well never counted but I use a frozen food feeder so the food it dripped into the tank throughout the day.

Neros503

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feed once daily. I'll either feed a pinch of pellets or flake, or I'll break off a small piece of lrs reef frenzy nano or frozen brine shrimp, and feed that. The tanks 29 gallons, and I have two clowns, a watchman goby, and a mandarin. They all seem to be doing great.

AutumnReefs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you guys fish get kinda rowdy during feeding? My wrasse starts chasing others around, this is the only time he does this. And everytime someone comes near the gramma, hes opens his mouth really big, and the others are just all over the place.

Aggression may about when feeding is unpredictable. Try to feed at the same time and see if this helps.

Triple.T

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Half cube of frozen thawed out per evening for me in a 29G with a lightning maroon and about 25 coral.

malacoda

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FYI -- if you reply to this post it would be MUCH MORE helpful and informative if you included your tank size (or better yet tank size and a mention of light, moderate or heavy fish load) ... versus just saying something like "I feed two cubes twice a day"...

Some who've replied already have, which is great!

But many haven't.

Without at least some idea of tank size and/or fish load, people like the OP or others looking for guidance will have no idea what constitutes light or heavy feeding compared to their particular tank size/fish load or the amount of food they're trying to decide to provide their fish.

As for me...

3-4 pinches of pellets in the A.M. a blueberry-sized cube of homemade LRS at lunchtime, and another at suppertime for my 65g with about 10 fish including 3 anthias, 2 fang blennies, a leopard wrasse and 2 fairy wrasses.

monkeyCmonkeyDo

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 100g display tank.
Prob 160-180g volume total

5" squirrel fish
2" 3 stripe damsel
3" longnose hawkfish
2" scorpionfish
3" humu.humu picaso triggerfish

I feed heavy. I filter heavy.
Rods predator. Rods fish only. Reef nutrition roe. Omega mysis. Marine cuisine. San fransisco krill.
Ect.
Hths!
-d

Jedi1199

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 55 and a 32 that are currently running.

The 55 has:
2 Wyoming white clowns
2 pajama cardinals
1 magenta dottyback
1 blue chromis,
And the newest addition a yellow tang.

Also have a skunk cleaner shrimp,
Peppermint shrimp
2 emerald crabs.

For corals I have a small mix of beginner corals:
Xenia
GSP
1 nice acan frag
and a couple zoas.

The 32 is more heavily stocked with corals...

I have about a dozen or so mixed frags in this small tank along with:

2 clowns
1 pajama cardinal
1 skunk cleaner shrimp
1 diamond goby
1 emerald crab (who is making my life miserable tossing frags around like gum wrappers... Ugghhhhh)

I am feeding a mix of both frozen and flakes with some pellets tossed in. Since getting the Yellow tang I am also adding in a bit of nori.

The flakes and pellets are fed 3x /day via auto feeder. The frozen is a mix. I dissolve 1 of each cube of the Saltwater Multi pack and feed a teaspoon or so to both tanks twice a day on my days off (Friday, Saturday and Sunday).

For the corals, I feed Benepets twice a week, one feeding on Thursday night when I get home from work, and the second on Sunday night before bed.

Also note, Saturday morning is water change and filter clean time. I run a canister on the 55 and the 32 is a biocube AIO. 20% on both tanks and a full rinse out of all mechanical media.

WVNed

The fish are staring at me with hungry eyes.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Feeding a 240 and 75 plus stuff living in the sump and fuge. 400 gallons total
2021051709250225--2904732198623125398-IMG_3612_HEIC-M.jpg

Right Live white worms
Center Squid and shrimp for 2 eels
Left Bine shrimp cubes, mysis shrimp cubes, LRS reef frenzy, Mid Jersey Reef Pro and a few shrimp
Selcon added
Defrosting in tank water
Not pictured. 8 Live guppies for the lionfish. ( I was afraid that might upset some people)
I put 5 sheets of nori in every 2-3 days
I feed this much at least every other day. Some days they get about half of this.

I am feeding 32 fish ranging from 8-10 down to 1.5 inches, 2 snowflake eels, 2 lions, urchins, several large and small crabs, corals and 3 anemones.

I just broadcast if several times throughout the day.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 12 9.0%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 46 34.3%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 43 32.1%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 31 23.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back