How often are you "tweaking" your aquascape and why would you change it?

How often are you "tweaking" your aquascape?

• Never, I set it and forget it!

Votes: 211 32.5%
  • I'll change a little here and a little there at times.

Votes: 371 57.1%
  • I like to give my aquascape a change up pretty often.

Votes: 33 5.1%
  • I'm always changing it including massive overhauls!

Votes: 15 2.3%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 20 3.1%

• Total voters

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
What are some circumstances that cause you to change your aquascape up? (new coral, new fish etc.)

How often are you changing your aquascape up and how involved is it?
(little or massive changes etc.)

image via @Queenofreef
1648476477575.png

Lyss

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't change the general rock structure, but I do move stuff around like my little rock island, frags, macroalage, etc, once in a while -- usually when I get some new frags and move stuff around to accommodate them, or when I notice a coral doesn't seem as happy as it could be in it's current spot.

DeniseAndy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When first setting up my 210g, I moved it a lot until I was a bit more happy. As things are starting to really grow in, I will not mess with it much. Just a bit to add new corals or clams or such.

Now my 40g, I am redoing all the time as the animals grow. LPS does not always like the neighbor lps, so as they grow, I have to change things up.
The 20 is a grow out and frag tank, so that is redone all the time too. Although, not so much the aquascape as the animals moved.

MillennialReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I keep it as is and barely touch it however, I change it sometimes when I have to remove a dead fish or removing GHA. So its sorta rearraigning because my hands are already in there.

ying yang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got 2 main rock structures fully glued and then mortared together so cant really re-arrange rocks other than swap them places or turn a little,other than that got 2 small islands but they stay put .
Only thing I do move is 3 large scallop shells every few months maybe lean against different spot but that's it

rmcrom

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I changed half my scape last weekend to make more habitat for fish and better coral placement options.

shakacuz

hang loose, cuz
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
none of my rock is glued, and i have a decent sized electric blue hermit crab, so sometimes it wedges itself between rockwork and forces me to reposition things here and there once in a while. i find myself moving sand more than rocks since i just got a yellow headed jawfish not long ago.. it's still looking for its forever cave.

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really can't change anything except a small change someplace. My rocks are all very big and "glued" together with sponges, corals and all sorts of growing, tentacled things.

My tank stays the same way for many years. The longest it went almost untouched was probably 20 years until I lifted the Under Gravel filter just to see what was growing under the thing. Then I also built new rock and changed everything around.

This was my aquascape about 20 years ago. I liked it the old way better and think it looked more natural.

I moved the tank here to my new house 4 years ago. I put everything back in the tank like this and built a lot more rock.

FTS Nov 2012.JPG

Last edited:

Bpb

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Never. Aside from adding and removing small sandbed items, the main rock structure does not change. It is entirely cemented together into a couple large pieces. Messing with main aquascape has always resulted in major tank issues, nutrient swings, and coral death. So I leave it as is. Always.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I picked other because:
I have a CBB that loves aptaisia in my 4’ tank, my nano goes through phases of aptaisia growth getting out of control (It’s undercontrol by a peppermint shrimp now) and I ended up mixing the rock around a lot. The CBB once had what looked to be equivalent to a Christmas dinner there was that much aptaisia! Now, I haven’t touched the rock in a month so far in my nano (Moved it to get a golden dwarf boxer out), in my 4’ tank I haven’t touched the rockwork in about 6 months. The only time I’ll add to it is coral but that’s not rockscape! That’s coral scape haha.

flashsmith

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got piles of rocks all around the landscaping outside of the house. So yea I move things just a little bit. I think I've finally settled on shelf and flat rocks for coral mounting because of the surface area it offers compared to just piling rocks up until I think it looks good.

Fatmike92

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m constantly adjusting little things and it’s usually because of new corals that I have coming in.

I’m currently considering taking out some rock in the very front to open up more sandbed!

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 5 29.4%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 6 35.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 3 17.6%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 3 17.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back