How often are you "tweaking" your aquascape and why would you change it?

How often are you "tweaking" your aquascape?

• Never, I set it and forget it!

Votes: 211 32.5%
  • I'll change a little here and a little there at times.

Votes: 371 57.1%
  • I like to give my aquascape a change up pretty often.

Votes: 33 5.1%
  • I'm always changing it including massive overhauls!

Votes: 15 2.3%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 20 3.1%

• Total voters

SlicVic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really can't change anything except a small change someplace. My rocks are all very big and "glued" together with sponges, corals and all sorts of growing, tentacled things.

My tank stays the same way for many years. The longest it went almost untouched was probably 20 years until I lifted the Under Gravel filter just to see what was growing under the thing. Then I also built new rock and changed everything around.

This was my aquascape about 20 years ago. I liked it the old way better and think it looked more natural.

I moved the tank here to my new house 4 years ago. I put everything back in the tank like this and built a lot more rock.

FTS Nov 2012.JPG
Look fantastic! I can't wait for my tank to get going! I just finished cycling it! Next week I get to add something alive!

Gary67

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had intended on planning out my scape before tank transfer a few months ago but,,, well,,, I'm lazy.
Instead slapped it together in the heat of the moment and left well enough alone for a couple of months -- should've stopped there.

One alcohol-induced night I decided I just didn't like one of my rock piles so was just going to tweak it ever so slightly.
Next thing I knew, there were rocks scattered all over the tank in various states of disarray.

Now I'm constantly fiddling with my one pile and should just accept that it's never going to get back to the original state, which was somehow better than any conglomeration it's ended up in since.
not often maybe 2-3 times a year still trying to figure how much fish to keep i took some rock out looks better

tigre44

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are some circumstances that cause you to change your aquascape up? (new coral, new fish etc.)

How often are you changing your aquascape up and how involved is it? (little or massive changes etc.)

image via @Queenofreef
1648476477575.png
I have made one change in 10 yrs to accommodate some new coral and keep coral from fighting each other. To make a change involves breaking coral apart and breaking pieces off I’m not willing to do that now however some of mine are getting so big I’m going to have to do something—new bigger tk!!

Jedi1199

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have changed up the scape in my 55g a couple times. Once, I broke an arm off the NSA scape, amd another I added in a few new pieces of rock to create a home for new corals.

I hope to leave it be for a while, but I also have 3 dozen frags I need to place.

Waynerock

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Man I tweaked the H E double hockey sticks out of some of mine last night. My bernardapora was going crazy growing Huge and stinging everything and encroaching on the acros so it had to go. That rock was under 3 other rocks and it just kept leading to one mess after another. At one point my wife had a rock in her hand and I had a rock covered with acros’ in each hand trying to get stuff out and moved. Totally changed the right side BUT now a got a really nice spot for this red dragon acro coming tomorrow!! Watch out for those bernardapora they stingy!!

Attachments

• BDE88830-B55C-4744-8020-CA8C8A086C11.jpeg
    BDE88830-B55C-4744-8020-CA8C8A086C11.jpeg
    266 KB · Views: 46
  • AC85D765-F3D9-45DF-9DAE-AC21850FC54A.png
    AC85D765-F3D9-45DF-9DAE-AC21850FC54A.png
    882.6 KB · Views: 42
  • 86134661-4118-4931-B998-F37028FF8864.jpeg
    86134661-4118-4931-B998-F37028FF8864.jpeg
    323 KB · Views: 38

DJ Lone1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't change the general rock structure, but I do move stuff around like my little rock island, frags, macroalage, etc, once in a while -- usually when I get some new frags and move stuff around to accommodate them, or when I notice a coral doesn't seem as happy as it could be in it's current spot.
That's what I do too

Spieg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some times it's easier to move a rock than to move an individual coral.

Fishfreak2009

Follow Your Passions!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I had a FOWLR I moved stuff around all the time. Helped cut down on aggression when adding new fish. I basically completely rescaped the tank about once a month. Harder to do in a reef with corals mounted everywhere. In my current setup, I haven't moved any of the rock around, and most of the corals have never moved either.

lubeck

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I picked other. I rearranged my scape at least 15x the first 2 months until I found something I liked.
Now I leave it. Will make changes once things start to grow. But doubt it will be the rocks.

SudzFD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I had a FOWLR I moved stuff around all the time. Helped cut down on aggression when adding new fish. I basically completely rescaped the tank about once a month. Harder to do in a reef with corals mounted everywhere. In my current setup, I haven't moved any of the rock around, and most of the corals have never moved either.

this too. I’ve done this several times with FOWLR and had great success with cutting aggression. Removing the more territorial fish while rescaling also helped. But have not done this with a reef. Honestly I’m afraid to tick off my corals!

Marks38

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am going to try a new game plan for my start up tanks. I am going through he uglies right now so I switch rock out between my display tank and fallow tank to see what happens. Right, wrong or indifferent, I'll see what happens.

MexiReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since built, I have just added a couple of branch rocks to add real state, but that it.

Karen00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have two rocks in my 5g so there isn't much to change. LOL The most I could do would be to remove one (no plans to do that) or turn them for different angles. I might try to find an arch to bridge the two rocks which would also give me more room for corals. :)

Gary67

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have made one change in 10 yrs to accommodate some new coral and keep coral from fighting each other. To make a change involves breaking coral apart and breaking pieces off I’m not willing to do that now however some of mine are getting so big I’m going to have to do something—new bigger tk!!
maybe 2 xa year i just got started in this hobby so it took and still is taking some time to get it the way i think it should now i will not have to move it again i think and hope

October Sky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Other (please explain): Only when I get an ammonia spike and have to find the body.

tjhventura

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had green pocillipora over taking tank and bothering my other sps. Took out rock to remove invasive pocillipora and rearranged my aquascape while I was at it other then that I never messed with it. Pocillipora still trying to make a come back BTW for another discussion though

Back