• Total voters

randyBRS

BRStv Host :-)
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's finally here!

We've wrapped up our initial testing of T5 bulb longevity and in this episode we share the results of running bulbs for a simulated 2yrs as well as results we found from using them in dimmable fixtures at 0%-100% as well as 0%-50%.

Before you watch this episode, please do the community a favor and vote in the poll above so we can all get an idea of when a majority of us change bulbs. :)

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven't gotten that far yet, but I was planning on changing mine out yearly. I run a metal halide with 4 t5's, and was always under the impression that a yearly change-out would suffice.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have just been thinking about this recently and this was some GOLD! Thank you so much BRS!

cracker

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I installed T5's last May Ordered new bulbs May of this year. I took till late June to get them all changed ! Also I "think" I saw a drop in algae growth after changing to new bulbs .

MTBake

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven't gotten that far yet, but I was planning on changing mine out yearly. I run a metal halide with 4 t5's, and was always under the impression that a yearly change-out would suffice.

Hey Crabs,

I thought you were using a Kessil 700? When did you switch to the halide? How are you liking it so far? Kinda curious as I'm really thinking of ditching my Kessils and putting a halide over my 40 breeder with the 4 t5s I have.

I just swapped out my t5s after 8 months of use.

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Crabs,

I thought you were using a Kessil 700? When did you switch to the halide? How are you liking it so far? Kinda curious as I'm really thinking of ditching my Kessils and putting a halide over my 40 breeder with the 4 t5s I have.

I just swapped out my t5s after 8 months of use.
I was rocking the Kessil T5 combo, but I had the opportunity to test out a Metal Halide T5 combo and couldn't pass it up. So far I am loving it :) I'm still the Kessil Koolaid guy ;) just have the kessil put away for a little bit :)

MTBake

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was rocking the Kessil T5 combo, but I had the opportunity to test out a Metal Halide T5 combo and couldn't pass it up. So far I am loving it :) I'm still the Kessil Koolaid guy ;) just have the kessil put away for a little bit :)

Sounds good! I used a halide/vho combo many years ago on a 75 gallon. That combo worked out great. That's really why I've been thinking of switching. Not a huge fan of adjustable lighting either. Seems like one more thing to have to dial in. I'd prefer an on/off cycle with no color or intensities to adjust. Keeping stuff simple really works best for me.

Aqua Splendor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This was another great video contributing to our community !

I'm actually testing the same experiment but in "real condition", with the humidity/heat/salt creep/etc..., maybe i will have a different results ?
I'm using Apogee 510, for testing on ATI Actinic and Purple Plus.

I will post a video on my channel when i have the video, will see what happen !

PDR

<°)))>{
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This kind of study just shows you guys are the real deal and exactly why I purchase 99% of all my reefing supplies from BRS. I mean who else would tell their customers to buy something less frequently? ;)

Ryanbrs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds good! I used a halide/vho combo many years ago on a 75 gallon. That combo worked out great. That's really why I've been thinking of switching. Not a huge fan of adjustable lighting either. Seems like one more thing to have to dial in. I'd prefer an on/off cycle with no color or intensities to adjust. Keeping stuff simple really works best for me.
I was just talking to the world wide corals guys and I got to tell you everyone who has been in this for the long haul agrees, Halides and T5's were plug and play. Plug it in the wall and start growing corals.

LED's form factor, lack of bulbs, heat, chillier, adjustable color and other elements just seem hard to avoid.

MTBake

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was just talking to the world wide corals guys and I got to tell you everyone who has been in this for the long haul agrees, Halides and T5's were plug and play. Plug it in the wall and start growing corals.

LED's form factor, lack of bulbs, heat, chillier, adjustable color and other elements just seem hard to avoid.

I agree. Leds do have a lot of appeal for the reasons you mentioned.

Even with my tank in a 70-73* basement, the temps still hit 82 with halides/vhos over the tank. I never did use a chiller. It grew pretty much everything.

I'm now using 4 t5s and 2 kessil 360w at 40% intensity and 50% color. I replace the bulbs every 8-12months for t5s, but will probably change the schedule now. This is over a 40 breeder. I seem to bleach some sps when placed in the rock work. 2 of the t5s were added only 2 weeks ago and it seems to be helping.

Sleepydoc

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another awesome video with solid information! Thank you!!!!

So what I need to consider now is the fact that my T5 fixture doesn't have any means of cooling the bulbs; it's just the ballast, bulbs and reflectors in a housing with an acrylic shield. It's entirely possible that running the bulbs hotter could cause them to degrade more quickly. What to do?

helljack6

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Only been at this since January but I've recently gone away from straight full on LED lights. I'm now running a 4 bulb T5 fixture with my current USA Loop LED light to back it up and I have to say my 90g tank has never looked better.

clsanchez77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have always changed mine in the 16-18 months time frame, whether supplemental to MH in the old school days or supplemental to my Hydra LEDs today. I do dim mine 0% to 100% over a fivehour period and reverse at the end of the day...so after seeing this video, I may extend that to 24 months. But no worries @randyBRS, this just frees up money for some other items Ive been wanting to buy!

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 68 37.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 32.8%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.9%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 15.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back