How Often Do You Feed Nori

Qasimja

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i will admit i slacked off on feeding nori for the past 6-8 months now my tangs a few of them are looking a little thin is it the nori that gives the tangs their bulk? because i feed frozen and flake or pellet 2 times a day most days some days even 3 times. ive started back feeding them nori once a day over the past week but how often do you guys feed nori to your tangs?

AlgaeBarn

Marine Aquariums Made Easy!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
i will admit i slacked off on feeding nori for the past 6-8 months now my tangs a few of them are looking a little thin is it the nori that gives the tangs their bulk? because i feed frozen and flake or pellet 2 times a day most days some days even 3 times. ive started back feeding them nori once a day over the past week but how often do you guys feed nori to your tangs?
Do you have a refugium that you could also grow food for them ( sea lettuce, red ogo, or pom pom)?

OP
OP
Qasimja

Qasimja

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have a refugium that you could also grow food for them ( sea lettuce, red ogo, or pom pom)?
no i wish i did i did poor sump planning when i first built this setup 3 years ago i used an eshopps sump now i have nowhere to put a refugium

trmiv

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I only feed nori a few times a month when the mood strikes me. But my tank unfortunately got ulva in it which my tangs keep in check so they get plenty of algae without feeding dried sheets. Without them my ulva would explode in growth.

OP
OP
Qasimja

Qasimja

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I only feed nori a few times a month when the mood strikes me. But my tank unfortunately got ulva in it which my tangs keep in check so they get plenty of algae without feeding dried sheets. Without them my ulva would explode in growth.
I actually wish my aquarium had algae that they could consume but i only get film algae

chipchipbro

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How did you guys learn your juvenile tangs to eat Nori from a nori clip?
In some tanks yeah the see how the others are going for it.. but if it is the only tang and a juvi. tang, how do you get him there?

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I never feed nori but I only have one hippo tang who has never seen it. He lives on clams and worms and I never told him he is supposed to be a vegetarian. :rolleyes:

My last one lived 10 years without ever eating nori. :D

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How did you guys learn your juvenile tangs to eat Nori from a nori clip?
In some tanks yeah the see how the others are going for it.. but if it is the only tang and a juvi. tang, how do you get him there?
If you want to get a tang to eat nori from a clip, IME I have always rubber banded it to a rock to begin with. Place rock on sand and this is more natrual for them. Tangs graze algae from rocks on reefs, so I start that way and once they start to eat it that way, I then move to a clip near the rock and lower on the glass. Just move it up gradually and eventually it is right below the water for easy removal and reloading. Once they take to the clip, the rock is removed.

EricR

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No tangs but I do feed about 1/8 sheet of nori to some of my inverts (urchin/conch/etc) a few times a week.

My only comments on nori are:
-- cheap (on Amazon) and lasts forever
-- left-over nubs that end up in the tank are good for a lot of CUC critters and don't seem like they rot into anything too bad for your tank parameters (IMO)

chipchipbro

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you want to get a tang to eat nori from a clip, IME I have always rubber banded it to a rock to begin with. Place rock on sand and this is more natrual for them. Tangs graze algae from rocks on reefs, so I start that way and once they start to eat it that way, I then move to a clip near the rock and lower on the glass. Just move it up gradually and eventually it is right below the water for easy removal and reloading. Once they take to the clip, the rock is removed.
thanks man, that sounds reasonable!
Btw, what means Teufel Hunden? - Teufel is kinda german :D

Jbell370

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a yellow, black, gem, mimic and chevron none of them will eat Nori, I have tried every brand and color. They go crazy for the algae rings, so I give them those every other day, not sure what is in them, but regal, coral and hybrid angel all eat it as well as the 2 reef damsels that I have.

OP
OP
Qasimja

Qasimja

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i have 6 tangs so ive started again feeding nori over the last 7-10 days i started with half a sheet but they ate it too quickly so ive started feeding the whole sheet and they practically tear it off the clip going at it even my triggers eat it

ApoIsland

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I never feed nori but I only have one hippo tang who has never seen it. He lives on clams and worms and I never told him he is supposed to be a vegetarian. :rolleyes:

My last one lived 10 years without ever eating nori. :D

Same here. I have a blue hippo that is over 7 years now and has never seen a piece of nori also. Yellow tang is 10 years old. The only food that goes into my tank is regular mysis and PE mysis.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 23.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 20.1%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 25.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%

Back