How often do you feed your fish?

• Total voters

sbash

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I try to feed daily, although I miss a couple days a month.

I don't think I feed enough, and I'm not sure if it is frequency or quantity...

You see, I recently started into the world of tangs. Now, I'm not a big "fish" person, so I have always had a passive interest in most fish. However, when I had two grape caulerpa strains infiltrate one of my tanks, I bought up every tang that was listed locally (not from a store). After about 6 or 7, eventually I found one that would eat it. Great, problem solved. But, the tank was too small for long term, so I put 4 of them into my 220 and the rest in my 8 foot frag tank. Again, great.

However, my convict tang, which was plump when I got him, has definitely lost some weight and I am worried it is too much weight. The rest are just less than plump, which I feel is good. So I have bumped up my Single sheet of nori and a bunch of pellets to two sheets of nori every two days. I'm also going to make some raw food and feed that a couple times a week.

austibella

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feed several times a day no animal should go hungry. In the wild they eat all the time. I cut up fresh seafood, use flakes,, pellets add nori and add zoo plankton, reef roids , reef chili and microvert. I switch foods because in the wild they don't eat the same food everyday
A few more pics of my tank

Attachments

• 20190702_161631.jpg
    20190702_161631.jpg
    166.7 KB · Views: 19
  • 20190702_161538.jpg
    20190702_161538.jpg
    127.6 KB · Views: 29
  • 20200328_191939.jpg
    20200328_191939.jpg
    227.5 KB · Views: 29
  • 20200316_140201.jpg
    20200316_140201.jpg
    327 KB · Views: 20

jaganshi066

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feed several times a day no animal should go hungry. In the wild they eat all the time. I cut up fresh seafood, use flakes,, pellets add nori and add zoo plankton, reef roids , reef chili and microvert. I switch foods because in the wild they don't eat the same food everyday
Agree with you 100%, no animal should go hungry especially due to us who want them for enjoyment. The least we can do is give them food even if it takes more water changes or other methods to keep the water clean it’s our responsibility

schooncw

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have nori in my tank 24/7. Tangs need to graze continuously. I also do 2 cubes of mysis, 2 cubes of brine shrimp, 2 cubes of bloodworm, as well as Tetra Large Marine flake and Tetra Pro Crisps every day.
My 120 is waaay overstocked w fish and softies but it looks great and the fish do not kill each other.

Buckster

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I voted once since I really give a main feeding for the fish around 2:30pm. I do find myself giving a treat of flakes in the evening. Nori goes in every couple of days. I really want the tangs to eat the GHA!

Peng1606

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What size of tank do you have for 60 fish? Or is it multiple tanks? Lol
I have a 750 gallon system. Tank is 10’ x 3’ x 3’ with 1 100 gallon sump and refugium. Have 13 tangs, 1 rabbitfish, 6 mono argentus, 4 leopard wrasse, 5 royal grammas, 2 blackcap basslets, 1 potters angel, 1 coral beauty, 3 clownfish, set of other wrasses, damsels, dartfish, sandsifters etc.

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

what zoo plankton do you use?

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I try to feed daily, although I miss a couple days a month.

I don't think I feed enough, and I'm not sure if it is frequency or quantity...

You see, I recently started into the world of tangs. Now, I'm not a big "fish" person, so I have always had a passive interest in most fish. However, when I had two grape caulerpa strains infiltrate one of my tanks, I bought up every tang that was listed locally (not from a store). After about 6 or 7, eventually I found one that would eat it. Great, problem solved. But, the tank was too small for long term, so I put 4 of them into my 220 and the rest in my 8 foot frag tank. Again, great.

However, my convict tang, which was plump when I got him, has definitely lost some weight and I am worried it is too much weight. The rest are just less than plump, which I feel is good. So I have bumped up my Single sheet of nori and a bunch of pellets to two sheets of nori every two days. I'm also going to make some raw food and feed that a couple times a week.

sounds as if know the issue as you have just wrote what the problem is, why not just feed the fish more?

Last edited:

CMMorgan

Counting my blessings...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My fish are like puppies... actually they must have taken lessons from my puppies. Every time I walk by, they get all excited and beg. So, if I'm home all day... they get multiple small pinches. If I'm working, they may get two larger pinches. I can't say no....
beg please GIF by Toca Boca

jaganshi066

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My fish are like puppies... actually they must have taken lessons from my puppies. Every time I walk by, they get all excited and beg. So, if I'm home all day... they get multiple small pinches. If I'm working, they may get two larger pinches. I can't say no....
beg please GIF by Toca Boca
Same haha

Gup

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I completely agree with you. I do light feedings, 4 times a day, of various products.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Several times a day with LRS, live worms, clam, masstick, etc. I never restrict food as a way to control nutrients. I run a skimmer and a large fuge and that keeps nutrients in line.

FrancineJ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 750 gallon system. Tank is 10’ x 3’ x 3’ with 1 100 gallon sump and refugium. Have 13 tangs, 1 rabbitfish, 6 mono argentus, 4 leopard wrasse, 5 royal grammas, 2 blackcap basslets, 1 potters angel, 1 coral beauty, 3 clownfish, set of other wrasses, damsels, dartfish, sandsifters etc.
That’s amazing! I WISH! Lol

Mark laar

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feed 3 times a day..
Mainly because my algae scrubber works too well..
2 cubes frozen food
3 or 4 pinches of Pellets
And a lot of coralfood..
On a 65 gallon tank with 6 fishes..
Also my skimmer is shut down at daytime to help build up some waste in the tank.
Maybe I'm gonna up my feeding some more because my phosphates are still undetectable and my nitrates rarely come above 2 ppm..

Back