How often do you see your pistol shrimp?

hllb

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just curious. I recently added a candy cane pistol and yellow watchman goby to my son's tank. They are super cute and paired up after about 3 days. I wasn't sure if I'd see the shrimp much at all. So far, we see him almost every time we feed the tank. I have noticed that one particular food will almost always guarantee an appearance, so now I'll likely have to order some of that (it was a free sample LOL).

1638808629323.png

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see my tiger every day. Especially at feedings. Usually he is just popping his antennae out of the hole, and will come in and out, maybe steal something.
Hear him a lot.
Hasn’t paired with my aurora goby yet (got pistol in January and added goby in August).
Really fun to have. He built his burrow right against the glass so I can usually see him in his cave:
F5FE922F-09FA-424F-8C0F-50BCCACFA271.jpeg

beehive124

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some days mine is all over the tank, other times he just chills in his tunnel system. His buddy (yasha goby) passed away about a month ago, and I think he goes around the tank looking for a new friend :(

OP
OP
hllb

hllb

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have yet to hear the little guy, but my son goes to bed at 9, so I likely wouldn't hear him unless I hung out in there in the dark LOL.

OP
OP
hllb

hllb

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see my tiger every day. Especially at feedings. Usually he is just popping his antennae out of the hole, and will come in and out, maybe steal something.
Hear him a lot.
Hasn’t paired with my aurora goby yet (got pistol in January and added goby in August).
Really fun to have. He built his burrow right against the glass so I can usually see him in his cave:
F5FE922F-09FA-424F-8C0F-50BCCACFA271.jpeg
That's pretty awesome! I look at where mine has built tunnels and it feels like an ant colony. You actually have that!

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see my tiger pair most days. They are incredibly active.

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im so happy I got to see mine today, for the second time in 2 months. I'm envious of you guys with shrimp/goby pairs that stay out all day. But I hear him clicking away and he's rearranged the sand in half my tank.

PR_nano

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see mine daily.

I did observe one of the most bizzard thing the other night. The pistol was out in the open at night doing loops in the water column. Never seen him do that. It was similar to when my peppermint give birth. As in they jump from sand/rock to the water column and do a loop and push baby shrimp out. Wish I had recorded it.

OP
OP
hllb

hllb

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly, I had never thought about getting one before, but knew my son would like it (well, truthfully, he'd like a mantis shrimp LOL). They're so much fun to watch.

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly, I had never thought about getting one before, but knew my son would like it (well, truthfully, he'd like a mantis shrimp LOL). They're so much fun to watch.
Very much like a low risk mantis…maybe not as crazy but something on their own…just to tide you over until you get a mantis.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 66 37.3%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.3%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.1%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 27 15.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back