How often do you see your pistol shrimp?

Garia666

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just curious. I recently added a candy cane pistol and yellow watchman goby to my son's tank. They are super cute and paired up after about 3 days. I wasn't sure if I'd see the shrimp much at all. So far, we see him almost every time we feed the tank. I have noticed that one particular food will almost always guarantee an appearance, so now I'll likely have to order some of that (it was a free sample LOL).
1638808629323.png
What food works so well to get them out?

OP
OP
hllb

hllb

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just curious. I recently added a candy cane pistol and yellow watchman goby to my son's tank. They are super cute and paired up after about 3 days. I wasn't sure if I'd see the shrimp much at all. So far, we see him almost every time we feed the tank. I have noticed that one particular food will almost always guarantee an appearance, so now I'll likely have to order some of that (it was a free sample LOL).

What food works so well to get them out?
This mix from Blue zoo (It's where I got the shrimp, so maybe it's just what he's used to): https://www.bluezooaquatics.com/productdetailas.asp?cid=106&pid=1750&did=5

muzikalmatt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see mine almost every day and I too have noticed how he comes out more for certain foods.

I've been on a purchasing spree lately and I've found he has to inspect/move around any new coral/invert additions. His latest obsession is moving around my newly purchased feather duster worm. I think he's trying to decorate his front door with it.

takitaj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tiger shrimp is sadly alone these days, still pushing sand from under the rocks. His buddy, the diamond goby, found the only tiniest opening in the net top and cooked himself to death under the radions. I see the shrimp pretty much daily when he'll poke his head out to grab some food at feeding time. I hear him all the time clicking away at intruders. So loud for such a little guy. lol Need to get him a new buddy.

Karen00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In the first couple weeks I didn't see my goby/pistol pair much but now it's all the time. Granted my tank is just a 5g so it's pretty easy to see the entire tank. Whenever I see my Hi Fin goby out I know Pistol Pete is usually out as well (rescaping my sand bed). LOL. I can see them right now. He's grown a lot since I first got them about 5 months ago. I often wonder if he'd be out as much without a goby to keep watch over him. :)

Karen00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see mine almost every day and I too have noticed how he comes out more for certain foods.

I've been on a purchasing spree lately and I've found he has to inspect/move around any new coral/invert additions. His latest obsession is moving around my newly purchased feather duster worm. I think he's trying to decorate his front door with it.
My guy has taken almost every extra hermit shell I put in the tank and has made a retaining wall around the main entrance. Honestly, it's remarkable how he has carefully fitted and stacked them to make a wall. He rivals the best human structural engineer and if I could I would put him to work finishing the retaining wall I started a couple years ago. LOL I would take a pic but of course the wall is facing the back of the tank! Haha. I think he might've accidentally buried a couple of my teeny tiny hermits (or he took them for their shells).

OP
OP
hllb

hllb

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In the first couple weeks I didn't see my goby/pistol pair much but now it's all the time. Granted my tank is just a 5g so it's pretty easy to see the entire tank. Whenever I see my Hi Fin goby out I know Pistol Pete is usually out as well (rescaping my sand bed). LOL. I can see them right now. He's grown a lot since I first got them about 5 months ago. I often wonder if he'd be out as much without a goby to keep watch over him. :)
Sadly, our goby died mysteriously. And no, I do not see the shrimp as much now - it’s pretty rare. We added a new goby yesterday but I haven’t seen it since.

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tiger shrimp is sadly alone these days, still pushing sand from under the rocks. His buddy, the diamond goby, found the only tiniest opening in the net top and cooked himself to death under the radions. I see the shrimp pretty much daily when he'll poke his head out to grab some food at feeding time. I hear him all the time clicking away at intruders. So loud for such a little guy. lol Need to get him a new buddy.
Sorry to hear.
I will mention that diamond gobies are not a pairing species usually.

muzikalmatt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My guy has taken almost every extra hermit shell I put in the tank and has made a retaining wall around the main entrance. Honestly, it's remarkable how he has carefully fitted and stacked them to make a wall. He rivals the best human structural engineer and if I could I would put him to work finishing the retaining wall I started a couple years ago. LOL I would take a pic but of course the wall is facing the back of the tank! Haha. I think he might've accidentally buried a couple of my teeny tiny hermits (or he took them for their shells).
They are definitely really impressive and I didn't realize at first that they use these frags/rocks/etc as building materials to keep the sand at bay. I just thought he was being a jerk. :D

Karen00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are definitely really impressive and I didn't realize at first that they use these frags/rocks/etc as building materials to keep the sand at bay. I just thought he was being a jerk. :D
There's always method to the madness. Haha.

Karen00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sadly, our goby died mysteriously. And no, I do not see the shrimp as much now - it’s pretty rare. We added a new goby yesterday but I haven’t seen it since.
When I added my pair they were near gone for the first couple weeks but I took comfort in that I would periodically see them looking out from their burrow. Having said that the first few days I didn't see them at all. This is my first tank and they were my first inhabitants so that freaked me out. After a few days I couldn't take the worrying anymore so I lifted the rock I saw them go under. They were there safe and sound (but a bit annoyed that I lifted their rock). Then I added a second rock and immediately the pistol was like "sweet, better digs" and he up and moved himself and the goby to the new rock. The rocks look the same to me. Haha.

happyhourhero

Burner of the Tips
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see mine daily. He picked a hole in the middle front and then one on the side. My scape is a pistol shrimp dream tho

OP
OP
hllb

hllb

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I added my pair they were near gone for the first couple weeks but I took comfort in that I would periodically see them looking out from their burrow. Having said that the first few days I didn't see them at all. This is my first tank and they were my first inhabitants so that freaked me out. After a few days I couldn't take the worrying anymore so I lifted the rock I saw them go under. They were there safe and sound (but a bit annoyed that I lifted their rock). Then I added a second rock and immediately the pistol was like "sweet, better digs" and he up and moved himself and the goby to the new rock. The rocks look the same to me. Haha.
I did get a glimpse of the goby today - and he was in the shrimp’s hole so they have already found each other. Hope this little guy fares better!

OP
OP
hllb

hllb

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, he seems to love the frozen food. He came out tonight for dinner and was quite bold! The clown paid no attention to him at all so that’s good. And pardon the dirty tank. Still in the ugly stages after 4.5 months.

F6BF4DF1-2821-49AA-BEC7-AABCCE517160.jpeg

aggrofish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I picked up a pistol shrimp last week. It took all of 10 minutes for him to dig a big hole and the yellow watchman goby to make himself at home. I have no idea where it's at now and I hardly see the goby anymore. The thing dug like 10 holes around the tank.

Back