How often do you tell people that you belong to an “Online Aquarium Club” and what is their response?

Sink_or_Swim

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow none of you? I am constantly telling people of this. People in my circle occasionally ask how my tank is doing and I tell others that are just acquaintances of mine. Most people won’t ask me any questions though.
You're lucky people at least ask you! My husband would love for me to quit talking about my tank to him and bore someone else, lol!

Billldg

My Gem Tang Is Watching You
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tell people all the time, BUT, I seem to always get the same response, LOL!!! o_O o_O o_O

This is the type of hobby that you either get, or don't.

Outside of reefers, the only person who has actually gravitated and continually ask me how my tank is doing is my Mom, and that is surprising, as my Mom is not one to spend money on a hobby. My Mom actually loved it and supports me on this.;Happy;Jawdrop

Sink_or_Swim

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol, whenever I start talking about reefing with my normal friends, I get self conscious around the time I have to tell them about the deionizer in my basement because they wonder why I can't just get water from my sink. Then I realize I have to explain what a deionizer is, and that's when they start to look at me like I'm certifiably crazy. Thats usually when I stop, especially with co-workers. I have to keep the normal facade up sometimes.

I do often tell my friends about reef2reef, usually in the context of my desire to write an ethnography of reefers and their behavior on an online forum. Unfortunately they look at me like I'm nuts when I say that, too. For reference, I'm a design anthropologist.

Unfortunately I have no friends or acquaintances in the hobby since I taught myself everything in the two years we've been mostly stuck at home.

Cest la vie.
I feel ALL of this, lol... my husband looked at me like I was nuts earlier while I was testing salinity (he called the refractometer the "eye thingy"... bahahahahaha)! At least he humors me by "listening" to me yap on and on about my tank while he's busy doing other things. And sometimes he'll ask questions and try to feign interest (which is fair, as I do the same with his comic books, lol). None of my friends are in the hobby though. My boss is, and we bore our coworkers to death sometimes at lunch or in meetings, but other than that I like R2R for talking about this stuff with other people who are actually interested. :)

Sink_or_Swim

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tell people all the time, BUT, I seem to always get the same response, LOL!!! o_O o_O o_O

This is the type of hobby that you either get, or don't.

Outside of reefers, the only person who has actually gravitated and continually ask me how my tank is doing is my Mom, and that is surprising, as my Mom is not one to spend money on a hobby. My Mom actually loved it and supports me on this.;Happy;Jawdrop
I agree - you get it or you don't. I found that to be the same with freshwater too. That's nice that your mom is interested and supportive of you with this hobby! My dad is that person for me. :)

Billldg

My Gem Tang Is Watching You
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the first rule about the aquarium club is
I will take a stab...WE understand each other?

And never question throwing the amount of money into our tanks...LOL!!! ;) :rolleyes:;Jawdrop;Hilarious

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
durden.PNG

tyler durden reading someone's stuck cycle post on a laptop sitting on a desk in a wet, dingy stinky room

Lasse gave him the black eye in a nitrite post

A;exr54

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think I've ever told anyone.
My family and friends think my tank is cool. Looks amazing. And they all say its such an expensive hobby.
I always say its not so much about the expense as it is about the knowledge you need.

Reefer Reboot

F.V.P.!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The last time I told anyone is when I had to explain to the city inspectors about RODI. My idiot overly nosy PITA neighbor filed a complaint that I was storing, and I quote, "NOXIOUS TOXIC CHEMICALS IN BIG BLUE VATS" on my property. So when they came out I told them that I thought that the "NOXIOUS TOXIC CHEMICALS" were suppossed to be non-toxic and proceeded to take a big gulp of it. Their reaction = o_O. I told them about R2R and to go look it up. Then their reaction = :rolleyes:. My reaction = ;Hilarious. Also told them to bring a warrant next time and to talk to the neighbor about filing false claims!:mad:

fish farmer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Actually I refer to the reef forum to my boss occasionally, but we are both in fish culture so there can be overlap. He was also an aquarium guy years ago. I think I was the one who suggested to get a Hanna Checker for phosphate to compare with our lab samples, "it's what the reefers use".

I was able to calm some frustrations about Fed Ex overnight shipping concerns with my boss yesterday. I tell him I read horror stories almost weekly about delayed shipping and livestock losses on the reef forum.

Our fish health pathologist was a reefer years past so I think he knew of hobby forums.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 20 31.3%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 52 81.3%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 10 15.6%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 10.9%
  • Other

Votes: 3 4.7%
Back