How often do you use your par meter?

Ippyroy

Defeater of Dinos
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have my first tank and will be purchasing a new par meter to test my light, kessil a360 we. In October - November I am hoping to upgrade to a 120-150 gallon tank with T5 and kessil hybrid lights. Do you use your par meters after the initial set up? Is it a good tool to use to test the life of T5 bulbs and LEDs? I will not be changing the aquascape after the setup as I will be using mortar on it.

Neoalchemist

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Seneye that I bought just for the par meter function. Ive only used the par meter function 3 times in four years. Once during setup, once when I added diy t5s and once when one or two acros were looking a bit dull. (A fourth use will be coming later this year to track the longevity of my t5 bulbs.)
That being said, for the cost of the Seneye it was worth it and I will keep it. I refuse to pay the unreasonable (IMO) prices of today's led fixtures. So, in the future I will need the meter to build/evaluate future light fixtures.

Neoalchemist

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Modern reefing has been successful since the early 80's without an affordable par meter though, so keep that in mind;)

sp1187

bird flu antidote
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have my first tank and will be purchasing a new par meter to test my light, kessil a360 we. In October - November I am hoping to upgrade to a 120-150 gallon tank with T5 and kessil hybrid lights. Do you use your par meters after the initial set up? Is it a good tool to use to test the life of T5 bulbs and LEDs? I will not be changing the aquascape after the setup as I will be using mortar on it.
I was thinking about making one, videos available on YT, when I came across a YT video you can rent one from BRS for $50, $500 deposit refunded when they get it back. so depending on how often you are going to be testing, maybe a better option?

edit: price increase $10-20 depending on what meter you rent.

andrewey

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you want a toy to play around with, then by all means, it's a fun gadget :) However, most people only use a par meter on their initial setup or if they are changing their light, changing aquariums, etc. For example, while my tank was cycling, I mapped out the par of my lights, both spatially across the tank, at different mounting heights, and at different intensities in 5% increments of the blue/white channel so that I could have this information for later. Were I to change lights, I would simply either search and see if someone had already made a map for that particular unit (assuming we had the same tank dimensions/mounting height) or borrow a par meter and repeat all my measurements.

alton

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been using some kind of light meter first foot candle and shortly after Par meter since I ran metal halide lamps. The first time I realized how important it was when my coral started rtning, my double ended lamps where only 8 months old old but with a meter I realized they had dropped intensity 50%. Later I was able to run my single ended lamps an average of 16 to 18 months versus the recommended 12 month change out saving me big money over the years. I bought a mars aqua fixture and after a year one of the three dropped 50%, so I had to run it at 100% versus the two newer ones at 50%. With leds it great to find the dark spots, and hot spots in your tank. People will spend a $1,000 on a controller. And never wonder about the par level in their tank? They hear it posted others run their lights at a certain percentage and follow suit not knowing if it is what their coral need.

OP
OP
Ippyroy

Ippyroy

Defeater of Dinos
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would rent, but with an upgrade in just a few months if I can get it on sale I will but it. I also work 80 hours a week right now so I don't want to be rushed. After I am done with it I will probably donate it to the supporting members. The one they have is a pretty long waiting list.

OP
OP
Ippyroy

Ippyroy

Defeater of Dinos
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been using some kind of light meter first foot candle and shortly after Par meter since I ran metal halide lamps. The first time I realized how important it was when my coral started rtning, my double ended lamps where only 8 months old old but with a meter I realized they had dropped intensity 50%. Later I was able to run my single ended lamps an average of 16 to 18 months versus the recommended 12 month change out saving me big money over the years. I bought a mars aqua fixture and after a year one of the three dropped 50%, so I had to run it at 100% versus the two newer ones at 50%. With leds it great to find the dark spots, and hot spots in your tank. People will spend a $1,000 on a controller. And never wonder about the par level in their tank? They hear it posted others run their lights at a certain percentage and follow suit not knowing if it is what their coral need.
I will be running T5s and I was thinking to be able to test them and see when they are actually running out.

Hydrored

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an apogee 510 and I have used it through 2 tank upgrades. With finally settling on my lights I have been using it weekly to test the acclimation and moving some coral around. I enjoy having it, I agree if you are not somebody who upgrades often you can set it and forget it renting a par meter. I looked at it as a small investment compared to spending 500 on 3 small frags

OP
OP
Ippyroy

Ippyroy

Defeater of Dinos
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an apogee 510 and I have used it through 2 tank upgrades. With finally settling on my lights I have been using it weekly to test the acclimation and moving some coral around. I enjoy having it, I agree if you are not somebody who upgrades often you can set it and forget it renting a par meter. I looked at it as a small investment compared to spending 500 on 3 small frags
I have a similar thought process. For under 400 bucks I don't see it as a huge expense. T5s are a set it and forget it other than bulb life.

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run T5's on my 120.
Never checked par as their are so many references you can use.
That said if I had cash to burn I would get one.
I replace my T5's every 7-8 months now.
Their was a noticable difference in light intensity after the change and a few corals colored up nicely, even though many said you can run them for much longer.
That was at 9 months 8 hours a day.
I run 9 hours now all on then off.
The par level may be their but the spectrum changes as they age imo just from a visual reference.
The beauty of T5's is you get a new light every 9 months or so.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 43 35.2%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 26 21.3%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.4%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.4%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 25.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.3%
Back