How often do you water change if nutrients controlled and you dose?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In the water column or in the sand bed and/or on the rocks? Because what if you're vacuuming your sand bed and blowing off your rocks frequently for maintenance?

I meant dissolved in the water, but I know a lot of folks also take out solids when they water change, I never did that, but its a fine plan.

Jcascioli

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
5 gal per day in my 220 ( AWC preformed by DOS)
My fuge and skimmer bottom out the nutes so I dose neophos and neonitro to desired levels. B-ionic 2 part plus Mg.
my DT is almost all SPS and everything is happy and growing well. I have a recirculating vacuum the runs through a mesh sock when ditritus builds in the sump. That’s it

EakTheFreak

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I suppose I just have to heavy of a hand with feeding. I will never understand how people have to add phosphate or nitrate to a tank.

I utilize the following for nutrient control:
- GFO in media controller (Small amount)
- Protein skimmer rated for 20 gallons higher than my tank
- Dose 5 ML of NoPox to hold nutrients in place
- Grow Fern Caluerapa in Refugium and have tons of live rock plus ceramic media balls in bottom of refugium

Phosphate - .05 - .07
Nitrates - 5-10 PPM

SWherrey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I dose two part ATI Essentials Pro, Nitrates and Phosphates but I still do a 10% WC weekly. Should I even be doing water changes? I run a refugium as well with skimmer and if I don’t dose nutrients they bottom out… I have a mixed reef but mainly sps

gbroadbridge

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Basically the title, if your nutrient levels are controlled by refugium and skimmer. You dose 2 part or something similiar, for the corals needs. For people in this situation how frequently are you still doing water changes?
10% a week, every week

Bruce Burnett

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
300 gallon system never did water change in 6 years. New 100 gallon display one 20% water change during first 6 months. Now doing 20% once a month when I pull skimmer to clean and change carbon. Removing detritus from sump. Between my diamond goby, three conch and a bunch of other snails, my sandbed is as white as new.

gbroadbridge

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let me throw a little more curve into the mix. :D

What if you're dosing everything that needs to be replenished including trace elements. Then what? Are water changes just a waste of time and money at that point?
No, because contaminants such as heavy metals can build up until eventually you have problem.

Water changes remove stuff, as well as adding stuff.

brmc1985

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the answers, defintly not trying to start an argument! I was just curious because in my past tanks were low tech with tap water and no dosing. I noticed that even if I skipped water changes for a couple weeks - month I didn't really notice an issue. Now trying a more high tech tank where I as going to dose two part and aim for mostly sps I was curious how religious other people are about their water changes.
TM All for Reef and no water changes.

Attachments

• 58559890-4EAD-44BB-8CC0-7F77FD348785.jpeg
    58559890-4EAD-44BB-8CC0-7F77FD348785.jpeg
    278.9 KB · Views: 72

Spieg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
About 20-25% WC once every 6 months when I vacuum half of the sand bed (maybe a little more if I have to use tank water to setup a QT).

DarkReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is an interesting thread.
As someone that's about to start auto dosing carbonate + trace, magnesium + trace, Calcium + trace and potentially even some nitraphos.. It's interesting to read how often people are changing.

Currently I'm doing about a 15% water change weekly only my (approx) 250L system, only running a skimmer/roller filter.
I've had issues with phosphates etc for a while and my alk and mag swinging a bit so getting the doser to stabilise things. I have a fairly heavy bioload with the fish and corals I think.

Will likely continue the above trend initially but once I get things stabilised, I may look to try and extend the time between changes where possible.

Koty

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
100g mostly LPS with refuge, dose AF 123+, slow flow GFO\GAC reactor, bioplastic reactor, and filter wool for physical filtration. I found the last one to be key in keeping nitrate and phosphate where I want them and so is replaced every 1-2 weeks. My fish are fed a lot. I keep nitrate at 5 ±2 ppm and phosphate at 0.02 ± 0.02, KH at 9.0 ± 0.1. I try to avoid water changes. On average I do 15-20% about once every 4 months. I work hard to match the salinity as accurately as I can using the TM hydrometer. TBH some of my corals look great and some less:

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 45 35.4%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 28 22.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.1%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.9%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 24.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back