Votes: 7 10.6%

• Total voters

Be102

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just hooked my ato up and was wondering how often everyone’s doing turns on to fill their tank. I’ve watched it for about an hour now and it has filled up about 3 times but it is maintaining the right level / isn’t using a lot of ato water so I am not too concerned. Just wondered what everyone else was dealing with!

Salty Lemon

Doing my best to make waves.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think much depends on your location, whether or not you have a lid, and the humidity level in your home. I live in the desert and I have a lid on my tank, otherwise the evaporation is just crazy. My ATO was constantly going before putting the lids on top. It still frequently turns on, but not quite so much.

andrewkw

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This time of year all the time. I heat my house with wood but somehow the humidity is still 63% inside. That being said I probably fill my 5 gallon ato reservoir every 3 days and every 4th day I get woke up in the middle of the night to the low water alarm.

OP
OP
Be102

Be102

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My biggest concern is it running more than it should! Hard to tell obviously as the water level stays the same.. idk just hard to rely on something to dispense water constantly when you aren’t paying attention... maybe I’m just nervous!

Saltyreef

I'm not your dad...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My biggest concern is it running more than it should! Hard to tell obviously as the water level stays the same.. idk just hard to rely on something to dispense water constantly when you aren’t paying attention... maybe I’m just nervous!
Its always exciting setting something new up. Keep an eye on it often until you become comfortable. Just realize it wont be set it and forget it right away.
I put a FULL mark on my sump so i can quickly glance at the water level and know everything is filling normally. Without the mark i would constantly be guessing.

andrewkw

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

What ATO are you using? Unless it's the cheapest of the cheap you shouldn't have to worry much if at all. If you are still worried use a smaller container for the top off water. For my 90 gallon which I mentioned always needing to top off, I use a 5 gallon bucket. Even if all 5 gallons dumped into the tank it would not be the end of the world.

OP
OP
Be102

Be102

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its always exciting setting something new up. Keep an eye on it often until you become comfortable. Just realize it wont be set it and forget it right away.
I put a FULL mark on my sump so i can quickly glance at the water level and know everything is filling normally. Without the mark i would constantly be guessing.
lol one step ahead of you! :p

had to do it for the sump / ato container!

image.jpg

OP
OP
Be102

Be102

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What ATO are you using? Unless it's the cheapest of the cheap you shouldn't have to worry much if at all. If you are still worried use a smaller container for the top off water. For my 90 gallon which I mentioned always needing to top off, I use a 5 gallon bucket. Even if all 5 gallons dumped into the tank it would not be the end of the world.
I just run a tunze 3155. Very reliable!! Doesn’t help me with my nerves just yet tho!
You do make a great point tho that I have not really thought of... that it’s just a few gallons of water..

I’m just more concerned about coming home to see my ato hose out /spraying wildly...

lol!! As I was typing this it kicked on for about 10 seconds!!

image.jpg

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My ATO comes on every time my skimmer comes on.
I lose 5 gallons a day average. My external skimmer comes on 3 times a day. Since it holds approx 8 gallons, when the sump loses that much water volume the return chamber falls enough to trigger the ATO. It might go off more times per skimmer cycle depending on how long the skimmer is on for and how much wet skim it wants for dinner

X-37B

Fight the Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tuze 3155. Never real timed how much it comes on. I have a 40 breeder with no baffles so its not on and off like if I had a small pump section in my sump. My 120 evaporates around 1 gallon a day give or take. 10 gallon bashsea reservoir so I fill it once a week.

AdamB

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 80 gallon rimless with 5 gallon reservoir and a aqua gadget smart ato. My reservoir needs to be filled every 2.5 -3 days! Rimless tanks are great but evaporation is through the roof .i was worrying about mold as well in house as well. I finally decided to buy a a sheet of acrylic at Lowe’s for $78.
I cut out feeding holes on each side of sheet . It’s has worked great! 3 days and I have only used a gallon! I do keep a towel near tank so when I do my weekly coral feeding I will take top off to feed .

Saltyreef

I'm not your dad...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My ATO comes on every time my skimmer comes on.
I lose 5 gallons a day average. My external skimmer comes on 3 times a day. Since it holds approx 8 gallons, when the sump loses that much water volume the return chamber falls enough to trigger the ATO. It might go off more times per skimmer cycle depending on how long the skimmer is on for and how much wet skim it wants for dinner
Do you have any issues keeping salinity in check since skimmers remove salt water?
Or are you using one ATO to top off the tank with saltwater due to the skimmer pulling so much water out?

ihavecrabs

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Once an hour maximum based on my apex programming. It probably runs 6 times a day and I go through about 15g-20gal of top off water a week. 160g, 60g low boy, and 50g sump with open tops.

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have any issues keeping salinity in check since skimmers remove salt water?
Or are you using one ATO to top off the tank with saltwater due to the skimmer pulling so much water out?
No issues. 5g evap x 7days =35 gallons week. The skimmer pulls about 5 gallons a week. The tank 550g another prob 100g in the sump . 650 total, so that about a 5% exchange a week in fresh water. 1% in salt water loss. Since I change out about 10% a week with a water change, its easy to correct any drop that is noticeable on the refractometer. I keep my tank at 1.025 and when adding new water I mix it to 1.026 or 1.027.

Last edited:

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 64 36.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.9%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.4%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back