How often should i do water changes

James Matthews

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have a 135 gal tank and 40 gallon sump with a trickle tower l, i have about 20lbs of porous rock and a filter sock, its a 3 inch overflow that circulates about 1500 gallons an hour. I also have a canister filter with about another 10lbs of porous rock in there and every once in a while I will run a zeolite carbon filter bag in it flows about 600 gallons an hour and also has a uv sterilizer. Also have a deep sand bed that I bought as live sand about 2 to 3 inches deep. Then I have about 80 lbs of live rock. How often should I do water changes i have a very light bio load?

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Monthly I'd say with all that filtration. When you do a water change though, make sure to clean the sandbed as best as possible so gasses don't build up.

scabbedwings616

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you keep corals? Or is it a fowlr set up? Honestly it depends on you if you want to do it Every 2 weeks or 4 weeks or every 6 months. It’s up to you. I’m going on a month of not doing one and my corals and fish are happy. I have a calcium reactor, run carbon, gfo, protein skimmer, refugium, and feed my tank daily and every other day I feed my corals total water volume is 210g(90g display, 80g frag, and 40g sump on one system). Things are happy in my tank. People say 2-4 weeks is theirs but in my experience learn what your tank needs. In my other two tanks I do it month and I also hand dose those tanks and test 1 time a week to make sure things are good. Both the tanks are 29g but one has a sump.

OP
OP
J

James Matthews

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I forgot to put i have a protein skimmer as well and a refugium in my sump and its a fowlr

4tanks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think this will get a mixed bag of answers some go 10% weekly some change a bit more every 2 weeks or 4 weeks and some go Triton method and just don't at all. I think the best thing is to start with probably 15% every 2 weeks to start an judge from there how the tank is looking I personally do 10 percent of the volume weekly.

Fishingandreefing

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It depends. If you’re keeping sps, IMO once a week, 10%. Softies to LPS, 2-4 weeks, 10%. Fish only, once per month, 10%. If parameters are off, change accordingly

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 140 88.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.7%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.9%
Back