How old is too old to start in the hobby?

Teereefic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just wondering how old is too old to start in this hobby? Water has to be changed, takes years to see corals and fish grow, a ton to learn, breeding, etc.? Does it make sense to jump when olde
Just wondering how old is too old to start in this hobby? Water has to be changed, takes years to see corals and fish grow, a ton to learn, breeding, etc.? Does it make sense to jump when older?
I'm starting my first reef tank at 69- a 100 gal. custom reef ready. If your mind is healthy, I believe it is a great way to stay young and active. I installed a small sink under the main display tank to make water removal easy. I have a custom made mixing tank next to the aquarium. Go for it!

Genomecop

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You're never too old for anything. I'm 65 years old. Next summer I'm moving to Los Angeles and will setup my second ever aquarium. The first one was when I was 15. I'm also going to the Culinary Institute and getting a degree in Pastry, because, Why Not?

N.Sreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The older you get the more you get to enjoy your aquarium (retirement). I only get to see my aquarium for a minute after work before going to sleep on week days. It would be nice to have all kinds of time to work on the aquarium and enjoy it. Water changes can be done with a pump to a drain, no need to kill yourself lugging water. I imagine the bending to reach in the aquarium if its deep and wide would be hard if you had mobility issues after whatever age. But that's when you rope in younger relatives to do it for you or get a lowboy.

gbroadbridge

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The older you get the more you get to enjoy your aquarium (retirement). I only get to see my aquarium for a minute after work before going to sleep on week days. It would be nice to have all kinds of time to work on the aquarium and enjoy it. Water changes can be done with a pump to a drain, no need to kill yourself lugging water. I imagine the bending to reach in the aquarium if its deep and wide would be hard if you had mobility issues after whatever age. But that's when you rope in younger relatives to do it for you or get a lowboy.
Ummn, well it's easy to say that when you are 50, but things go downhill fast after that :)_

Trust me using +2.50 reading glasses to even read the computer screen.

My opthamolgist surgeon said come back in 5 years because by then my eyes will be as bad as they will ever be. I'm already +2.5 for reading a book or computer and +0.5 for distance.

I used to have 20/20. Getting older sucks

Regards
Graham.

reefchoe

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, this post really got my attention. I'm 62 years old, and was in the hobby for 20 years with big tanks, but I got out for about 20 years. I have a new 535 gal tank and still empty for about 2 months. I've been having second thoughts about moving forward; glad to see others in the hobby at my age.

Duncan62

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just wondering how old is too old to start in this hobby? Water has to be changed, takes years to see corals and fish grow, a ton to learn, breeding, etc.? Does it make sense to jump when older?
Yes. I started my first Berlin system in 1981. Kept fish before that. Bred and raised many broods of percula clowns in a 30 with a ug filter. I took down my last reef in 2000 thinking I didn't have time anymore. 4 years ago after retiring built one. Then a second. Then a 60. Then a frag tank. As an old guy I think reef tanks are more enjoyable. I'm more patient and because of it the tanks work better. If you can pour and stir water you can do it. Buy a book and listen to successful reefers. Good luck to all the old guys and girls out there!

ScottJ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seriously.... I think if you can't physically carry a 160g bucket full of salt and lift it from the floor to a tabletop bc of your age.... I would say it's probably not the best hobby to be in

old man thumbs up GIF
Ever heard of a 2 wheel had truck to move heavy things (like a salt bucket) around? How bout a small chain hoist ($60 on AAmazon) to lift? Or better yet a grandkid (free), if you can get one to put down that phone. Pumps, hose, wheels, we have the technology! Now that I'm older, I never say someone is too old.

Genomecop

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ummn, well it's easy to say that when you are 50, but things go downhill fast after that :)_

My opthamolgist surgeon said come back in 5 years because by then my eyes will be as bad as they will ever be. I'm already +2.5 for reading a book or computer and +0.5 for distance.

Regards
Graham.
Well eyesight can go at any age. Like I said above I'm 65. I bike ten miles every other day and go to Equinox to lift the other days. Go me!

reefchoe

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Regards
Graham.
I agree, I'm wearing 3.25 now, but I have can still see my corals!

Duncan62

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Must you always pick up a full new bucket? Maybe us antiques could use a smaller container to put the salt on the table. I hear they make containers of other sizes beside 5 gallons. Maybe a one gallon bucket will be invented soon. I'll bet Amazon might have one.

NoahLikesFish

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
im 15 and 6 months into salt. i will probably still have tanks when im 70. reefing is easy and you dont need to have anything other than an independent, inquisitive mind to do it. there are many methods and it involves a lot of experimenting. i know someone who did lots of tanks and owned a fish store and he had service related chronic pain. he was in his 50s but he had horrible chronic pain

ArtsyFish

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a freshwater African ciclid tank for ten years and gave it up when I moved across country and abandoned the idea of having a tank again. Then at age 75 I decided on a saltwater tank. The first year I started with a 57 gallon. Got totally into it did a lot of research but got caught up in rushing things and compulsive buying of corals. It was a learning curve for sure and after two years the tank was a mess in spite of my regular weekly water changes; GHA, Bubble algae and after a power outage that lasted for a week I was sure that I was going to "pack it in". However, I realized that in spite of the issues I had, I really enjoyed the challenge. So I upgraded to a 105 gallon and with careful planning my now five month old new tank is happy. I am being very selective about what corals I want to keep and limiting the number of coral and fish. I am keeping things simple. I have an AIO tank, do my weekly water changes, feed sparingly. dose each day manually and stick to one limited basic line of additives to maintain a stable tank. I don't find it to be too much work and the enjoyment outweighs the time and cost invested.

Nano-DaveJ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Answering the question “what is too big and complicated for me” might be accomplished at any age with a small scale experiment. Start a small saltwater aquarium. You will experience all the joys and frustration of a larger system but with a fraction of the cost and weight handling requirements.

If you enjoy learning, can handle being frustrated, are good at growing things, had an aquarium, or just enjoy nurturing living things, go for a 10 or 20 gallon aquarium of the least fussy
That’s exactly what I did. IM Nuvo 20 with hardy fish and easy corals. A 5 gallon water change keeps everything happy and healthy.

Last edited:

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 41 32.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 19.5%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 33 25.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back