How old is too old to start in the hobby?

Rick's Reviews

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just wondering how old is too old to start in this hobby? Water has to be changed, takes years to see corals and fish grow, a ton to learn, breeding, etc.? Does it make sense to jump when older?
Never a question in my opinion, if I want to enjoy something in life that brings me so much joy, I will do it... And I have :)
I am not ashamed to say I have little savings but this hobbie brings me so much joy daily.
I sit and watch my aquarium daily, so hard to explain but this for me is the greatest escape, I only have a few hours a day but honestly,. I can not think of anything better

BroccoliFarmer

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe it is similar to the question 'how much is it'. If you have to ask, the answer is probably too expensive.

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s exactly what I did. IM Nuvo 20 with hardy fish and easy corals. A 5 gallon water change keeps everything happy and healthy.
How long ago did you set it up?

MOD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do not think it is an age thing as much as a mentality I'm 66 been keeping fresh water tanks most of my life. I'm just about to set up my first reef tank. I just rehomed all of my shrimp tanks I am keeping my planted discus tank. I went with the neptune sys. to try to keep thins as easy as possible with water changes testing and dosing. My tank is 36x24x24 not to big but not to small can reach the bottom and front to back to make it easy work in.

WVNed

The fish are staring at me with hungry eyes.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Running a system is much easier than building one. I managed to get mine going just under the wire. I couldn't do it now.
Time for one of the pills I take every 4 hours day and night to make my nervous system work.

Jeff Kohlmann

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Only other issue is vacations. I think there’s more than automatic feeders here to be concerned about. Blackouts & more serious issues can’t be ignored. UPS’s only last so long so a generator maybe be necessary. Add another $7,000 to the tank.

Snitch

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Never too old to start the hobby IMO. I've been in and out of it since 2004, moving every few years puts a damper on it, but now that we're settled for a few years, I'm jumping back in.

Patience is key (and $$). If you don't have either, maybe take up another hobby.

gbroadbridge

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Only other issue is vacations. I think there’s more than automatic feeders here to be concerned about. Blackouts & more serious issues can’t be ignored. UPS’s only last so long so a generator maybe be necessary. Add another $7,000 to the tank.
Did a 10 day vacation last month.

Most stressed out vacation ever even though everything is automated with a Profilux.

Wife want's 4 weeks in Europe when borders open up.
Looking forward to that

zaga

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just wondering how old is too old to start in this hobby? Water has to be changed, takes years to see corals and fish grow, a ton to learn, breeding, etc.? Does it make sense to jump when older?
There isn't a "too old" in this hobby. Limiting factors are making time, money, and physical capability. If you are older and have the time, money, but not the physical capability, pay someone to do it.

zaga

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did a 10 day vacation last month.

Most stressed out vacation ever even though everything is automated with a Profilux.

Wife want's 4 weeks in Europe when borders open up.
Looking forward to that
Did an 8 day to Hawaii in August but was able to find a friend to house sit. We still ended up losing a fish but having someone there helped ease the stress.

OP
OP
C

Charley

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe it is similar to the question 'how much is it'. If you have to ask, the answer is probably too expensive.
I don't mean in terms of expense. I think more in terms of the long term. Will I ever experience a fish living 15 yrs? Can I expand as time goes on? Can I get some broccoli?

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 36 54.5%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 37 56.1%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 15 22.7%
  • None.

Votes: 14 21.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 9.1%
Back