How old is too old to start in the hobby?

ZoWhat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seriously.... I think if you can't physically carry a 160g bucket full of salt and lift it from the floor to a tabletop bc of your age.... I would say it's probably not the best hobby to be in

old man thumbs up GIF

TCoach

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just wondering how old is too old to start in this hobby? Water has to be changed, takes years to see corals and fish grow, a ton to learn, breeding, etc.? Does it make sense to jump when older?
I’d say when on your deathbed or 100% bed ridden. Otherwise it is fun, keeps you in action (water changes etc), and helps you engage your brain!

A win, win, win!

Last edited:

Billldg

My Gem Tang Is Watching You
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No one is ever to old for this hobby, you just need to understand and plan for limitations. This hobby brings joy to so many members, age, is never an issue.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
90 years old. At that age, dont see myself doing a water change

1638846554721.png

Zeedawg

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d say never too old - but physically some constraints. You should be able to at least pickup a 5 gallon bucket of water…

Karen00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think age factors into the hobby at all. As long as you're able and willing to do the maintenance (or setup the tank to be self sufficient) then you're good to go. As others have mentioned maybe start off with a smaller tank. If you find you have no issues with that then everything can be transferred to a larger tank when you're ready. I do everything manually so the biggest chore I have is periodically carrying 3g buckets of water around. :)

flyfisher2

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got my first 10 gallon aquarium when I was 10. I' started saltwater in the mid 80's and for me the most difficult thing is water changes. I don't have automatic water change capability and sloshing buckets is a thing of the past. Solution
I have three of these. One for RO/DI, one where I mix and pump water into my tanks and one for siphoning water from my tanks.
image.jpg

Much easier than sloshing 5 gallon buckets.
Don’t let age ever be the reason for not doing something.
Reefing keeps my mind occupied. I learn something new everyday and deal with challenges.
Beats the tick outta watching Reruns on tv.
Go for it!

Bob Escher

Welcome to Saltwater
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just getting back in after being gone for 34 years so basically like never having done it before. Spent the last year catching up currently buying my gear a little at a time….just turned 60.
Thank you for your Service

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 143 88.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.9%
Back