How old is too old to start in the hobby?

bnord

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
WOW - am blown away by the number of re-starts in the pastime

had tanks in the late 70's and then started moving (6 states in that span) and couldn't make it work - had sons with snakes and lizards and fresh water, but did not restart till quarantine house 18 months ago (which also includes a quarantine tank - that makes a 40 year gap, from when it was an achievement to grow Aptasia and Culerpa to now

agree that you don't need a 180 (am plotting a 320 step down peninsula) as my 15 WB gets as much viewing time as the 180 Cade, but a fraction of the up keep.

so keep it simple, Tunze zero pumps and canisters on your water 50 gallon reservoirs are a savior for water changes if you don't do AWE's

and am 66 1/2 and will be at a it for a while according to plan for the record

Last edited:

bnord

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
as my 93 year old dad (who flew his last private plane 4 years ago) says, that "Satchel Page said, ""if you didn't know how old you were, how old would you be. ""

learning the math on the chemistry conversions, remembering coral Genus species, remembering to turn the Poewer heads back on and keeping the RODI Brute from overflowing keeps you active and that all that counts

Fin

Professional Procrastinator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am 67 and have spent about half of my life in the hobby. I would say that age is your friend in this hobby. I am retired and have more time to devote to the tank. That hasn’t exactly panned out the last couple of years due to hurricane damage and a subsequent flood, but I will never give up. Starting over now.

I can still move buckets and pick up boxes of salt, so no problem there. My knees and neck aren’t what they used to be, so I do have to be in a good mood to work in my sump. :)

Watching your corals grow is part of the enjoyment of the hobby. Don’t pass on the hobby because of age. You might want to have a contingency plan regarding what to do with the tank(s) if something were to happen and you could no longer care for the tank. I kinda hate the thought of my wife tearing down my tank and selling the livestock for what I said I paid for it. :)

tigre44

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As long as you are physically able to do maintenance and enjoy the hobby age is not a factor. I have told my wife when I’m unable to do this take all the livestock to my local store and give it to them most of it came from them anyway. I still work on my cars and play softball two or more days a week. I’m 74.

Calizoa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just wondering how old is too old to start in this hobby? Water has to be changed, takes years to see corals and fish grow, a ton to learn, breeding, etc.? Does it make sense to jump when older?
People can be ******s in this hobby and still be ignorant as hell. A few lemonade pitchers a day keep things in check What uneducated ***** ignore them.

Attachments

• 2B0DB0A8-F100-403F-B3F2-23FF819CF04C.jpeg
    2B0DB0A8-F100-403F-B3F2-23FF819CF04C.jpeg
    171.2 KB · Views: 18

Buckster

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Back in this after 20 yrs off. I am 59 but the knowledge obtained from R2R has been instrumental towards better success! Previously used 5 gallon buckets and now "python and a pump goes a long way."

maxwell

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The hobby turns the clock back ,keeps you fit and all that research keeps the old grey matter ticking over. The best part is the wife saying go and treat yourself to some corals you deserve it LOL . mid 70's

HB AL

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just wondering how old is too old to start in this hobby? Water has to be changed, takes years to see corals and fish grow, a ton to learn, breeding, etc.? Does it make sense to jump when older?
I skipped all the comments but I would say it's never too late. As long as there are no major physical issues and or a little help, I say GO FOR IT, it's fun!

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 64 37.0%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 34.1%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 24 13.9%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 15.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back