HOW ON EARTH DO I CUT THE DISC OF THE FRAG PLUG IN HALF WITH A DREMEL???

reefinginBD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really do not want pests in my tank. I will dip my corals, but I cannot set up a quarantine tank for them as I do not have space and because my parents won't allow me to buy another chiller which is very expensive in Bangladesh. So, to reduce the chances of getting pests into the tank, I want to cut the frag plug disc in half instead of just cutting the peg. I also want to do this as the plug is an eyesore. In BRSTV, they used a band saw, but I cannot get one because I do not have space and also because my parents won't allow me to get one. So, is there any way I can cut the frag plug disc in half like this with a dremel? Or with any other tools other than a band saw or something too expensive? Please let me know. I have also added three pictures that will help you understand what I am trying to say. This makes the corals look more natural like they are in the ocean and not in a tank, it also reduces the chanes of adding pests and it also gives a large area to put glue on making sure it sticks to the rock instead of falling off.
1627874108586.png

1627874620057.png

1627874642987.png

LRT

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use the diamond blade with handheld chargable battery operated dremel you can get at Walmart. It allows you to get right up close and surgical. Ive cut right along the foot of shrooms on several occasions with no issues.

LRT

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's one I did recently. You can see the baby shroom growing on a piece of disc under it. I make a clean cut right up against foot all the way around disc and snap the disc off with my bone shears to save time. The diamond blade cuts fast and clean though.
20210801_173845.jpg

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just use a pair of wire cutters and cut the plug right off. It's easy

OP
OP
R

reefinginBD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's one I did recently. You can see the baby shroom growing on a piece of disc under it. I make a clean cut right up against foot all the way around disc and snap the disc off with my bone shears to save time. The diamond blade cuts fast and clean though.
20210801_173845.jpg
So, instead of just cutting the peg/shaft off the frag plug, you cut from the middle of the disc right? So, you have no peg and half a disc. Like they did with the bandsaw in the
20210801_173845.jpg
So, instead of cutting the peg/shaft off the frag plug with a dremel, you cit it from the middle of the disc of the frag plug right? Like the way BRSTV did it with a bandsaw. Right? Because that is what it looks like. Also thanks for answering my questions. Thanks! Please let me know.

Gqch

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
i just cut off the plug leg, then use tooth brush clean the base of the frag, glue it to the rock after 5min iodine dip.

OP
OP
R

reefinginBD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i just cut off the plug leg, then use tooth brush clean the base of the frag, glue it to the rock after 5min iodine dip.
I see thanks! But, do you think that I could do the same but instead of cutting the plug I cut the disc in half. It is basically the same thing but just a little higher.

Plandauesq

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use the diamond blade with handheld chargable battery operated dremel you can get at Walmart. It allows you to get right up close and surgical. Ive cut right along the foot of shrooms on several occasions with no issues.
Maybe dumb question, but how do hold the frag when you do this? How don’t you cut your hand or have the frag fly out of your hand? Any videos of how you do this?

LRT

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe dumb question, but how do hold the frag when you do this? How don’t you cut your hand or have the frag fly out of your hand? Any videos of how you do this?
Very carefuly. I use a pair of vice grip needle nose to hold disc while I cut it.
The battery dremel is hand held size you can pretty much hold it like a paint brush. Low and high speed so alot of control for precision cuts. I thought about doing a video but its a super fast process out, zip, snip back in as quick as possible.

LRT

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, instead of just cutting the peg/shaft off the frag plug, you cut from the middle of the disc right? So, you have no peg and half a disc. Like they did with the bandsaw in the

So, instead of cutting the peg/shaft off the frag plug with a dremel, you cit it from the middle of the disc of the frag plug right? Like the way BRSTV did it with a bandsaw. Right? Because that is what it looks like. Also thanks for answering my questions. Thanks! Please let me know.
Another good option would be a small vice clamp on a table. You could clamp dremel in and cut just like that video. Really doesn't take much with the diamond blades they cut fast.

ZoWhat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Try holding the frag steady using your teeth...then cut looking into a mirror.

This free up both hands

teeth GIF

Last edited:

Plandauesq

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very carefuly. I use a pair of vice grip needle nose to hold disc while I cut it.
The battery dremel is hand held size you can pretty much hold it like a paint brush. Low and high speed so alot of control for precision cuts. I thought about doing a video but its a super fast process out, zip, snip back in as quick as possible.
Locking vice grips?

Back