How Popular Is The Aquarium Hobby In Your Region?

OP
OP
Cincyreefer513

Cincyreefer513

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Having grown up in the Cincy area, what else is there to do? Lol. Go to Jungle Jim's and look at a cursed soup can man?
Come on now, don't be hatin' on Jungle Jim's, that place is awesome! I actually live only a few minutes from there...
There is a fair amount to do around here, but I don't plan to live here forever either. Living in CA for 4 years was a blast while the military paid for it, although I'd never move back there. Aside from that, it's been Cincy the rest of my life so far.

dennis romano

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here in northern NJ, it is pretty sad, store wise. Within forty minutes from home, there are only three reasonable shops, and one of those doesn't carry salts.

fish farmer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pretty sparse in Vermont, reefbum lives just over the mountain though.

There used be be a decent club around 2003 to 2014ish. We even had our own website/forum, we broke away from RC in the beginning. Had a couple different presidents until they drifted away, the 2008 recession had some hobbyist bail or move elsewhere. Someone put up a FB page a few years ago, crickets. There are a few people from the region checking in here, but no organization. If you aren't in the Burlington area (rt 89) it is pretty hard to justify driving to see other reefers if you are 2 hours away in the sticks.

Aside from Petco there are only two or three stores that carry SW livestock and one of those is only reef...wwc stock at wwc prices.

There are better stores south in mass/nh depending on which highway you take.

CowTusks

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Metro Detroit area has quite a few and Preuss Pets in Lansing is always worth the drive. Sadly Seaworld Gardenworld just closed which always had a fun variety and lots of supplies. Pet Connection might be my favorite now but it’s a little bit further from me to be my regular spot.
A few Facebook groups with frag swaps and equipment posted daily. Hard to truly compare as I’ve only reefed here but much better than upstate South Carolina.

kanders87

Sarcasm Extraordinaire
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm in Madison WI and it's not at all popular here. We've got one LFS that opened last year that mostly has freshwater fish. There's another that mostly does tank maintenance for clients that just opened a retail store with limited hours. That one is salt water focused. And there's one more that is a general pet store. I've bought several snails from them but I wouldn't buy much else there. Mostly I've been driving 1.5 hrs to Milwaukee to a LFS there or down to Janesville (1 hour) to a small LFS.
What stores are in Milwaukee or Janesville? I’m on the WI/IL state line and am having a hard time finding a LFS with decent saltwater fish.

Trixter227

Wrasse Wrangler
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
AA is definitely overpriced even their sales bring their prices down to average retail. Matt’s is good but in my opinion definitely higher in price. Rivers is alright with decent - average pricing (depends the day as far as stock and QT is necessary regardless). Reef Systems is usually pretty good. High prices online but decent at the farm. There’s one in Lancaster that I can’t think of the name.

I have found LFS’s in Virginia (Norfolk area) to be almost non-existent or at least aren’t just a window shopping. I know of a reefer in Northern Virginia that’s a hobbyist but sells high quality corals.

The Baltimore/DC area used to be pretty good back in the day. Had clubs and had a couple good stores. Today’s Pet in Columbia had ORA stuff and then there was House of Tropicals in Glen Burnie. No clue if those two are even still around.
Yeah Virginia is a little empty. 1 good, clean, and solid store in the SE Virginia/Norfolk area. One or 2 that are iffy. But that is it.

Reefing102

Metal Halides Til The End
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah Virginia is a little empty. 1 good, clean, and solid store in the SE Virginia/Norfolk area. One or 2 that are iffy. But that is it.
There’s a Petco in the Hampton area that when I visit, seems to have a decent selection. Legendary Aquatics in Chesapeake was pretty decent when I visited but have closed shop last I saw. I can’t think of any others that are “great” off hand unless I’m overlooking some (which is a great possibility as I don’t live there, just visit my parents).

Trixter227

Wrasse Wrangler
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There’s a Petco in the Hampton area that when I visit, seems to have a decent selection. Legendary Aquatics in Chesapeake was pretty decent when I visited but have closed shop last I saw. I can’t think of any others that are “great” off hand unless I’m overlooking some (which is a great possibility as I don’t live there, just visit my parents).
Premier aquatics. Small store but the guy is super nice and knowledgeable. Super clean tanks. Next time you are down check it out.

coralboi56

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In the Fort Worth area, it's very popular. there's about 4-5 fish shops within a 30minute drive and we even have a coral farm there (Coral-Vault)

In the Galveston area, it's DRY. closest LFS store is an hour away near south Houston (unless you count PetCo)

In the Mississippi coastline area, it's about medium. I see regulars at the LFS, but also always meet someone new

rja

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My region is very popular. I have a half dozen coral stores around me. Most notably Cherry Corals, Detroit Reef Club, and a few hours away from Tidal Gardens. Lots of local facebook importers, sellers, and collectors. I love the community. Winter is cold, it’s best to sit inside and watch your reef.

Oh by the way I am in southeast Michigan.

ChrisPPolys

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Decent scene in Rhode Island. To everyone else in America all these LFS are local. To a Rhode Islander they’re a state away (you’ll understand if you’re from here)
Two good LFS I’d recommend, ones been in business since the early 90’s with a great owner who is the sole employee of the store. The other LFS I’m thinkin of is really nice and getting going, although they’re a bit pricey.

OP
OP
Cincyreefer513

Cincyreefer513

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since this was brought back from the dead, my initial experience has changed a lot.
I moved last year to a farm in eastern Indiana. The nearest fish store is now a little over an hour away. We don't even have a big box pet store nearby. I feel like I'm the only one in the county rocking the blue windows at night lol

Roatan Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welp, I live in Central/South Florida, so you all know we are spoiled.

I have 3 dedicated LFS who specialize in Reef on the Space Coast and of course Orlando is only 45 minutes away, where we have Top Shelf, Living Reef, and WWC ... although I find Top Shelf and Living Reef overpriced, but that's just my opinion.

I can even travel north to Daytona Beach... 40 minutes and have another 4 stores.....or if i feel like it...drive south to WPB/Miami and have tons of shops.

It's so bad..my wallet and wife hate me!

Back