How quickly does Lanthanum Chloride work

Idoc

Getting lazier and lazier with upkeep!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've used Phosphate-E occasionally to control phosphate. Does anyone know how quickly this works to drop the phosphate levels once it's placed in a filter sock or skimmer?

RMS18

I keep water chemistry as my hobby
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've used Phosphate-E occasionally to control phosphate. Does anyone know how quickly this works to drop the phosphate levels once it's placed in a filter sock or skimmer?
It works instantly. As soon at it's hits the water it binds the po4. When it has taken a full effect depends on the gph your running, contact time. I don't test until the following day, just for redundancy purposes.

Pistondog

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 @RMS18 Said

Phosphate is also bound to substrate and rocks, in equilibrium with what's in the water. When lc removes phosphate from the water, some bound po4 will leach out of the rocks, back into the water. The same is true for gfo, you should remove gfo before running lc.

RMS18

I keep water chemistry as my hobby
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 @RMS18 Said

Phosphate is also bound to substrate and rocks, in equilibrium with what's in the water. When lc removes phosphate from the water, some bound po4 will leach out of the rocks, back into the water. The same is true for gfo, you should remove gfo before running lc.
Great call out on the equilibrium part. This is how some reefers get themselves into trouble. Took me about 6+ weeks to figure out my daily dose of LC. It was much higher in the beginning to just maintain, due to the leaching.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 24 32.9%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 19 26.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 6 8.2%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 6.8%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 18 24.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.4%
Back