How reliable are cheap TDS pens to test RO/DI in the 0 - 3 TDS range? Hanna Pure Water Tester?

Muffin87

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is everyone here using to test the TDS of their RO/DI? Any tips or experiences concerning the reliability of cheap TDS pens?

Would you trust a cheap HM Digital TDS-3 Handheld TDS Meter? Plenty of positive reviews, but a reviewer pointed out:
I purchased this to verify my inline TDS meter was working properly. When I got it they were both off by 10 PPM. This was HMs response when asked about it: These meters are accurate within 2%, but have a range of 500ppm TDS, meaning 10ppm TDS is within that range of error.
The Hanna Pure Water Tester looks like a better alternative. Accuracy is ±2% (like the HM TDS-3), but a much lower range: 0.0 to 99.9 μS/cm range, i.e. 0-48 ppm range.

Do you need the extra accuracy of something like the hanna pure water tester, or a cheap TDS pen works just fine in your experience?

Unregistered1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is the tds pen i have and it works great. To answer your would i trust a cheap tester...all are testers are cheap hobby grade. I actually have two of those and have verified off two and it always give me zero tds of my di. I checked them against distilled and same 0 tds.

Unregistered1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its just for checking TDS...it is either zero or its not....mine i verify with distilled from time to time like i said above.

Pistondog

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is everyone here using to test the TDS of their RO/DI? Any tips or experiences concerning the reliability of cheap TDS pens?

Would you trust a cheap HM Digital TDS-3 Handheld TDS Meter? Plenty of positive reviews, but a reviewer pointed out:

The Hanna Pure Water Tester looks like a better alternative. Accuracy is ±2% (like the HM TDS-3), but a much lower range: 0.0 to 99.9 μS/cm range, i.e. 0-48 ppm range.

Do you need the extra accuracy of something like the hanna pure water tester, or a cheap TDS pen works just fine in your experience?
I have the brs rodi with integrated tds meter, output never exceeds 0.
If the ro membrane is working, shouldn't the tds be zero?
If it fails, won't the reading be > 10 tds?
I had a ruptured membrane on an Amazon rodi, tds 44.
Are there other failure modes that would give tds < 10.
If not, is the gross tds check sufficient?

Unregistered1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the brs rodi with integrated tds meter, output never exceeds 0.
If the ro membrane is working, shouldn't the tds be zero?
If it fails, won't the reading be > 10 tds?
I had a ruptured membrane on an Amazon rodi, tds 44.
Are there other failure modes that would give tds < 10.
If not, is the gross tds check sufficient?
No you will never get zero with the membrane alone...close but not zero tds....That comes from the Di Resin portion

Unregistered1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

The TDS meter just lets you know that your Di "Deionized" filter resin of the rodi is taking the remaining tds " Total Disolved Soilds" out of the water making it zero TDS......the RO "reverse Osmosis" filter used for drinking water takes it down to 3 tds its varies on people system but not much. That DI water is the one that needs to be zero tds for the reef. Thats all you need a meter to tell you if its zero tds....if not then change your DI resin its exhausted

Water Dog

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For handheld TDS meters, you want the TDS-3 meter. The “3“ signifies temperature compensation for greater accuracy in your measurement.

Water Dog

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I would trust the TDS-3 handheld over the inline meters on RODI units. The inline meters on RODI units do not have the temperature compensation feature that the TDS-3 handhelds have.

Back