How reliable are these wifi power strips from amazon? I'm setting up a tank to run remotely, looking for input

n2585722

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would advocate you try and build the most robust system your budget will allow. For similar money you might be able to get a used Apex Classic, and that would give you something to build on. Or since the Hydros is modular you could start with a power strip and build from there. Success will keep you in the hobby, tank crashes will not.

I am away from my tank 5 days a week for work and have been running it this way for over 12 years. I rely pretty heavily on my Apex and over the years the setup has gotten more complex, but in the beginning it was mostly about remote monitoring. I know a week is not the same as a month so you have some bigger challenges in your case.
The only Hydros power strip that will work on it's own without a controller is the XP8. That is because it is a controller and not a power strip with only the 8 AC outputs and no inputs. If you want to control things with temp sensors and other inputs you can add a controller with the inputs you need with the XP8 and create a collective. The collective will act like a larger controller with all inputs and outputs of it's member controllers.

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 17.8%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 27 16.0%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 18.9%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 72 42.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.7%

Back