How reliable are these wifi power strips from amazon? I'm setting up a tank to run remotely, looking for input

airbats801

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm doing a experiment to see if I can setup a smaller tank with minimal load and keep it running while I travel for work, which is sometimes over a month at a time. I picked up a 42g cad lights with a large sump awhile back. It's about cycled and I plan on maybe tossing in a midas blenny, maybe some gsp or a few mushrooms, nothing crazy just a minimal tank. I havent been able to keepo a tank for the last 12 years or so due to my job. I'm wanting to give this a try.

For now since im taking off soon, I'm thinking about trying a wifi powerstrip to run an top off pump, and power head. I'm thinking of just using a wifi camera to use to monitor the tank and do manual top offs. I know there are controllers out there, but I dont feel like investing a ton of cash in a apex since im currently looking to buy a house, and the reefpi I'm thinking about doing would take me awhile to assemble. Most likely I will be traveling by then. I was thinking about building it on the road.

Does this sound crazy? I have a friend I can have swing by and load up the auto feeders once and awhile, but I dont expect them to perform any serious maintenance.

Any suggestions on a good reliable wifi power strip? I'm also looking at a good autofeeder. I always liked oceans nutrition flake, but starting to think maybe a pellet based food would be better for auto feeding. I've been eyeballing the fishmate f14, as I watched some macna vids and they seem well liked. It gives me 14 days. I'd prefer to get more then that frankly.

I dont plan on water changing, and the setup will basically be, refugium, and rock/sand.

TangerineSpeedo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some, like the one that comes with the Hydros that you can get separately from amazon. Have "Off" being the pre-set after a power outage. ie; When the power goes off you stuff does not come back on when the power comes on again. I contacted the company, which is in China and while they tried to be helpful I couldn't set the default to "ON". I did a work around which ended up being better using Alexa, which is similar to what an Apex does. So when my WiFi resets after a power outage and Alexa finds my outlets in my powerstrips off she will turn them back on. The MP's and the return right away but the skimmer after 10 mins so it won't overflow.

OP
OP
A

airbats801

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think off would be better, and even better is something with push notifications that can alert the phone. Since I will be running a top off pump. I would want it off if power ottage occurs. Thats a good questions. Do any of the phone apps have any kind of push notifications from the strip? It sounds like alexa could be a good solution.

TangerineSpeedo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think off would be better, and even better is something with push notifications that can alert the phone. Since I will be running a top off pump. I would want it off if power ottage occurs. Thats a good questions. Do any of the phone apps have any kind of push notifications from the strip? It sounds like alexa could be a good solution.
The ones I looked at seem to all use a version of the Home Life App. But in reality If I was going to try to do what you are, I would look into getting a Hydros XS or Control 2 for a couple hundred bucks so you would have some monitoring capabilities.

burban94

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use the Kasa smart strips. They are wifi controlled, and are able to set on/schedules. They also come in 6 or 3 outlet setups. Each one comes with 3 usb outlets as well, though they aren't controllable. Affordable and easy to use. If I need to do maintenance I can shut down the entire system and restart it with a push of a button.

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Kasa

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also use a Kasa power strip and many of the single outlets with my tank and various other things throughout the house. I have never had an issue with my Kasa, but I would be nervous about using any smart power strip to turn on a top off pump that I have to turn back off with the app. What would happen on the off chance that after turning it on you lost internet? You would be much better off making the pump run on a schedule, or just buying an actual ATO.
I actually use a Kasa smart plug to control my AWC and although it makes me a little nervous it has never had an issue. My Kasa smart plugs also go back to whatever state they were in whenever the power went off, although now that I think about it I don’t know what would happen if the outlet was scheduled to change status while the power was out.
As for auto feeders, the eheim is hard to beat for the price. I have heard really good things about the Avast marine Plank but I’ve never personally used it.

JaaxReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another Kasa vote from me. I have two strips with all my gear on them and even used the usb plugs for under tank lighting. Never had an issue with them.

Lbrdsoxfan

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Kasa, tuya and the rest work, but be careful. They don't have inherited capabilities like a true aquarium controller. I caused a tank crash by shutting off the return pump on accident. Only knew because I had a cam and I saw there was no turbulence from the returns at the top of the display. At that point the display was unheated for over 16 hours and there was some losses.

SteveMM62Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Too many points of Failure for me. Just get a Prism ATO from BRS. I have three of them, not a single bit of trouble from any. Ran a pump dry, while on Vacation, and it didn’t burn up. Also I have a poor record of cleaning the Sensor, hasn’t been a problem. Tip, take the external magnet to the hardware, buy an “O” Ring sized to the Magnet. Super Glue it where the magnet needs to be, so it won’t slide down.

FactoryKTMmotocross46

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Kasa, tuya and the rest work, but be careful. They don't have inherited capabilities like a true aquarium controller. I caused a tank crash by shutting off the return pump on accident. Only knew because I had a cam and I saw there was no turbulence from the returns at the top of the display. At that point the display was unheated for over 16 hours and there was some losses.
Dang. You need a lacrosse mobile alert system. It's like $2.00/mo and it txt and email alerts you when temp gets out of your chosen range high/low or if power goes out. I think they even have leak detectors. Supposedly Zynect sensors don't have a subscription fee.

OP
OP
A

airbats801

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been playing with this 6 outlet kasa. I'm impressed! Been testing my dc return pump, power heads, heater etc.. Very cool!

All_talk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would advocate you try and build the most robust system your budget will allow. For similar money you might be able to get a used Apex Classic, and that would give you something to build on. Or since the Hydros is modular you could start with a power strip and build from there. Success will keep you in the hobby, tank crashes will not.

I am away from my tank 5 days a week for work and have been running it this way for over 12 years. I rely pretty heavily on my Apex and over the years the setup has gotten more complex, but in the beginning it was mostly about remote monitoring. I know a week is not the same as a month so you have some bigger challenges in your case.

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went with a Kasa strip due to the good reviews here. It lasted less than 3 months. Power was turned on and the main power indicator light was on but every outlet was dead and wouldn't power up. I was home so no biggie. I get that stuff fails but I just went back to using individual smart plugs of which I already have a stack rather than replacing it.
Monitoring from a distance without the ability to be able to intervene was never something I wanted to do. If I'm working, vacationing etc away away from home I don't really want to know if things are going to crap. If I can't be there in time to correct things I don't want to have to worry about it continously while I'm away. Now if I had someone I could contact to get there quickly and has the knowledge to intervene then absolutely.

Last edited:

srobertb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve been using one for 3+ years. I just chose the highest reviewed WiFi power strip and it’s been no issues since.
As a self proclaimed expert on this crap…reliability will depend on what you plug in, humidity/salt, and 2.4ghz Wi-Fi.

Get an outdoor rated one. Personally I’ve had luck with the Meross brand. I have an android tablet ($70 on Amazon) to specifically connect 2.4ghz devices to my network as my iPhone will not. Bonus you can get a stand and use it as a controller.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Kasa ones are popular and totally fine to use. I doubt Apex is any more reliable. My apex EB32 broke and my Kasa did not ;)

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 32 17.3%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 32 17.3%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 34 18.4%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 79 42.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.3%
Back