How reliable is the marineland deep dimension 150?

Discussion in 'General Equipment, Hardware, Filtration' started by Velcro, Mar 12, 2018.

1. Velcro

Velcro Valuable Member

Have a lead on a DD150 for a great price with the nice stand and canopy. I had a 93 gallon marineland rimless cube and it has the microbubble issue on every seam near the top of the tank. Always made me nervous so I broke it down.

Is there any similar issue with the DD 150?

Tags:

2. Brew12

Brew12 Electrical Gru R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Reef Squad Leader Article Contributor Build Thread Contributor Partner Member 2018

Marineland makes a huge number of tanks. If catastrophic failure was likely on any of their tanks they would have gone out of business a long time ago.

Does that mean they cannot fail? Obviously not. Even if the odds of tank failure are higher with Marineland than any other tank manufacturer it is still very unlikely. And I am not saying they have the worst failure rate, I just don't know. Only that with as many tanks as they sell in a year they wouldn't be in business if failure wasn't very unlikely.

Fritzhamer and DancingShark like this.
  3. WWIII

WWIII Valuable Member R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Build Thread Contributor LMAS Member

My 200 dd is very well built, no bubbles in any seams. The dd tanks had a problem with black silicone on botton panel some time ago, mine has clear on bottom, black on corners/sides. The one thing I don't really care for is the overflows, but for the price of a custom I got over that pretty quick . The overflows won't handle a ton of flow, but only an issue for those who like to run crazy turnover. The starfire front panel is nice and overall I'm happy with mine, 2 years+ in.

4. Hk45

Hk45 Member

Agreed my 300dd 4 years old no issues. Seems look great. Did modify overflow by removing teeth and running dual herbies. Standard overflow isn’t great

5. shred5

shred5 Valuable Member R2R Supporter Build Thread Contributor

I was recently offered a DD for a good price new and I also had the 93 gallon have issues with the bubbles and the seams were not even straight..There were so many with the 93 bubble issues at the time, one person on here had three 93's with the bubble issue till he gave up. So I was hesitant and did a search.

If you look at Marinelands site for the DD the reviews are not hot and if you search R2R there are pretty many faliures.
    I saw somewhere they finally admired they had issues and had switched manufactures and were having issues with this manufacturer. So I am guessing this was for a certain period of time if what I read was true. I wish I could find the source again.

Read this thread they had a failure and there are a bunch of others in the thread that came forward with the same issues:
    https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/the-journey-continues-mike-terrys-280g-reef-savvy.243458/page-3

I passed, there are more than a few to many issues for me until I hear they fixed the issues for sure.

6. WWIII

WWIII Valuable Member R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Build Thread Contributor LMAS Member

Fwiw if I saw bubbles in any seams I would not purchase/accept the tank. I know that may not always be an option for some, but I wouldn't risk it if at all possible.

7. DancingShark

DancingShark Active Member

I would like to see sale numbers from tank manufactures. And of course failure rate. Only then can we have non anecdotal evidence of how many of this tanks are prone to fail which I am thinking by far out sells the higher priced tanks.

Just Google what ever manufacture followed by failed be it tanks, controllers, doser, heater, anything.

Brew12 likes this.
  8. shred5

You don't see them till you fill it with water. It is like the glue stretching.

WWIII likes this.
  9. Hk45

Hk45 Member

Agreed. I know of 3-300dd and 3-200dd and 1-150dd. In my area that all have been running for years with no issues. The people with problems will be vocal but how many people with no problems post about not having issues.

10. WWIII

Ahh, that makes sense. That would be disappointing to say the least. The few I've seen online had so many bubbles, I figured they were there from manufacturing and were visible from the start. Makes sense the weight reveals the "defects"

11. shred5

google Aqueon and Marineland and look at the difference once. It may be anecdotal but the ratio is huge. I have been in the hobby since like 10 and never heard of a Aqueon/AGA failure and hear of Marineland all the time. when someone has more than one it is more than a few. I mean if it was so few what would the chances of getting two let alone 3.

12. shred5

Yea they were replacing everyone's but mine was drilled. Since there were so many I was not about to buy another so the tank and stand went into the garbage.

here is pictures of what people were seeing:
    http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2597634

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/marineland-93-gallon-cube-warranty.318280/

WWIII likes this.
  13. WWIII

14. WWIII

@Velcro is the 150 you've got a lead on up and running? If it has black seams like my 200 it should be easy to see any defects. If I had a chance to look it over, I wouldn't be afraid of it.

Like I said, you apparently also want clear silicone on the bottom from what I've read. Some years ago, they were using black silicone on the bottom that was giving out. I'll see if I can find the link.

15. Velcro

Velcro Valuable Member

It's not currently running, but I'll certainly have a chance to go over it closely.

16. Robert Vacchiano

Robert Vacchiano Active Member

Had a 300 gallon deep demension leak after only 3 years old . They replaced it but not my hardwood floor that was ruined The new one has clear silicone on bottom hope it is better and was the problem. But have heard of to many large deep demension leaking

17. MadCityReefer

MadCityReefer Active Member

I’ve meet 3 people who had there’s blow out. Personally I wouldn’t risk it...

18. Robert Vacchiano

Robert Vacchiano Active Member

I would never get a used deep demension it’s not worth the risk

19. ricky5415

ricky5415 Active Member

I have mine 300DD running for over 8 yrs. Nothing happen. U just have to be careful when cleaning algae with those magnets with blade; tried not to get too close to the seam where the silicone meet. Carefully using the razor to clean around them. Works fine with me so far.

image.jpeg

20. shred5

Your is older though.. I think the bad run was on ones made the last few years. To me it sounds like they may have fixed or in the process of fixing the problems if what I heard was true.

Draft saved Draft deleted