How safe is Clay, could this be possible?

Aqua Splendor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello Reefers!

I'm going to make (eventually) a special piece of aquascape in a form of a tree and i was wondering is clay like this : https://amzn.to/2XvbKOq is safe after being in the oven, dry, then multiple water change with tap water just to be safe if their anything can leach.

Clay become concrete but not all clay are the same and I wanted to have your feedback on that since I like of experience with this particular clay.

Last time i did something with concret i bought the portland 20 years ago, great for making rock but not possible to make special branch like a tree.

Thank you for reading!

WVNed

The fish are staring at me with hungry eyes.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am going to say no. It is buried deep on their web sight but it says

we have not done any testing on any of the products to be used in aquariums.
and
All of Polyform’s products are NOT labeled as “food safe”.

I think your idea would be fine with a food safe product. Just not the one you linked. I have red clay fired bricks in my tank and they have been fine.

OP
OP
Aqua Splendor

Aqua Splendor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am going to say no. It is buried deep on their web sight but it says

we have not done any testing on any of the products to be used in aquariums.
and
All of Polyform’s products are NOT labelled as “food safe”.

I think your idea would be fine with a food safe product. Just not the one you linked. I have red clay fired bricks in my tank and they have been fine.

Actually their many hobbyist who use this kind of clay (polymer) in freshwater aquarium and so far after couple years it seem to be ok. (no glaze and stuff like that)
But in saltwater with coral, it might be another thing, and thats is a part i don't find much information... concrete information (badumtsss).

The food safe thing is just because of the bacteria proliferation so for aquarium it's actually a great advantage!
I'm concern about the colored clay, I don't know if the pigment used is safe or not, i will probably contact them to find out what it is.

After couple hour of research I'm realizing theirs no research done in that matter it seem we have to rely on experience of people but if anyone can find some scientific study that would be great, web is kinda big...

Polymer clay used to be toxic but not anymore (Ingredient law switch with petrol)

rhdoug

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aves Studio makes a reef-safe clay-like product called Apoxie-Sculpt. I have used it for years to mount frags, alter the shape of rock, and make magnetic shelves for corals in my tank. It is 2 part - you mix the colored part (multiple color choices) with the hardener and you have about an hour to work with it before it hardens. It can cure underwater in your tank -- I do it all the time. I made these pedestals for my frag tank using plexiglass and pvc pipes with the product over it to look like rock.

Fragtank 9-26-2019 by Randall Douglas, on Flickr

rhdoug

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
here is a magnetic shelf I made for a large hammer coral

shelf 024.jpg

shelf 037.jpg

427HISS

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
here is a magnetic shelf I made for a large hammer coral

shelf 024.jpg

shelf 037.jpg
How much of product did it take to make the shelf ? How much did it take to use and is the cost higher or lower compared to several other products that are made about the same, like Julian Sprung's ?

rhdoug

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I probably used approximately a half a pound of material. As far as cost, I really have no idea whatsoever. It would be easy for you to check out the cost of Apoxie Sculpt on the Aves website.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 58 50.0%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 64 55.2%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 27 23.3%
  • None.

Votes: 28 24.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.8%
Back