How screwed is the 2021 frag swap/show season?????

Dirk Griffin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pretty much!!
Until a Covid19 vaccine is out there, working, and most people get it most of 2021 is NOT looking very good, imo.
Even if we get to that point, the crowds will likely be lower due to many still being spooked and skepticism being rampant.
Rounds 2/3/4 or what ever # we are up to at any particular point next year and after, are not looking to be raising any confidence anywhere.
IF we can make it around the corner with things, crowd sizes will still be max'd out at a level that are not going to make many show/swap organizers or vendors happy. Many will be thinking twice about hosting or even going to many or sadly to any events.
Or the continuation of what 2020 has ended up, with cancelling and/or rescheduling things to death.
Every state will be over thinking many/most details and not be coordinated or consistent at any government level. Owners of the venues probably throwing their own rules in, just for safe measures.
I also mentioned a few months ago, many venues are already booked up for 2021 and many beyond that. With most of the events of 2020 being pushed into 2021, a LOT of places are already booked for 2021/22/23+..... Covid19 will be making a big mess of 2022 scheduling of anything and beyond.
Sad to say, this is not looking for the for see able future......
Dirk

Vivid Creative Aquatics

Upgrade Your Flow!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm hopeful for the 2021 season, based on a few things Ive seen recently.

Here in Phoenix, we had a small, local frag swap with 8 to 12 local venddors, probably the first one since late March. it was hosted at a local shop and was only lightly promoted and social media.

The show was only about 3 hours long but had at least a couple hundred people show up if not more. It was standing room only at a few points. People really, REALLY want to go to the coral and saltwater aquarium related show. They have been deprived for months now.

Most everyone was masked up and having a good time. Sales where brisk for the vendors that attended.

I realize that the this small event is not comparable to big show, but to me it's an indicator that shows that the people, the hobbyists, are going to show up if the show promoters can find a way to hold the show dates.

I suppose we'll find out soon enough. Aquashella, Dallas us still on for the end of October, and we are sitll booked to show at booth 401 - it's just around the corner :)

Tired

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Yeah, I'm not going anywhere until it's actually safe. Wearing masks isn't 100% guaranteed to prevent someone getting sick, and I don't want myself or my family to get this thing. I haven't gone to any group events or inside a public building since March, and that isn't going to change until the pandemic is out of the US. Vaccines are great, sure, but not guaranteed- I'm waiting for vaccine + the thing's actually died out so I won't be exposed no matter what. I'd rather not die or have my chronic health conditions worsened (or get new ones!) from going somewhere for a frag swap, and I am very much not going to expose my family to germs from a frag swap. Mad as I am that I can't do Halloween or go anywhere, it's not worth it.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 45 35.4%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 28 22.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.1%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.9%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 24.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back