How sensitive are aptaisia to movement?

swiss1939

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank is just over 1 month old and I've added minimal livestock of inverts, sand critters and a tiny piece of live rock from my LFS and already noticed 1 small aptaisia. I am out of town tomorrow for 10 days so I cannot order aptaisia x or anything to deal with this currently, but since it is sitting on my heater, I am wondering if just carefully removing the heater from my sump to kill it without it releasing spores?

I am sure there are probably already some more tiny ones hidden elsewhere in my sump or DT if I am seeing this one, but was hoping this wouldn't have entered my tank already this soon. I figure its worth the shot to hopefully pull the heater out and remove this one manually and thoroughly clean the heater before putting back into sump.. and maybe it is the only one! I know its a long shot but its an easy removal item to clean/kill the pest. I just don't want to cause this to spread out of control just from trying to move the heater it is sitting on.
IMG_20200730_172155.jpg

Sleeping Giant

Proud Canadian Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank is just over 1 month old and I've added minimal livestock of inverts, sand critters and a tiny piece of live rock from my LFS and already noticed 1 small aptaisia. I am out of town tomorrow for 10 days so I cannot order aptaisia x or anything to deal with this currently, but since it is sitting on my heater, I am wondering if just carefully removing the heater from my sump to kill it without it releasing spores?

I am sure there are probably already some more tiny ones hidden elsewhere in my sump or DT if I am seeing this one, but was hoping this wouldn't have entered my tank already this soon. I figure its worth the shot to hopefully pull the heater out and remove this one manually and thoroughly clean the heater before putting back into sump.. and maybe it is the only one! I know its a long shot but its an easy removal item to clean/kill the pest. I just don't want to cause this to spread out of control just from trying to move the heater it is sitting on.
IMG_20200730_172155.jpg
Yup do it

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Use Superglue. It is 10000000x better than aiptasia X

I wasn't sure using super glue on the heater would be a good idea.

I think on that small part it would be fine since that part won't get heated However, if you can remove the heater and clean it that would be more thorough.

OP
OP
swiss1939

swiss1939

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Removed heater and scorched it with scolding hot water for 10 minutes. Hopefully that was the only one, but something tells me I'll be seeing some more of those in the future. Put my backup heater in the sump so that i can let this one dry out for a week while I'm out of town. That should guarantee if it released anything onto that heater it won't be coming back from there. If it does come back, there were more hidden in the sump or DT that I don't know about.

OP
OP
swiss1939

swiss1939

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks everyone. I will hope for the best that it was isolated but will keep an eye out for any new ones!

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 19.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back